Migration from 4.7 to 6.0 without the 5.x side trip... would this work?

Getting ready to move my last server to 6.0.. and it's on 4.7 (if it ain't broke, don't mess with it mind set.. so I mess with it)..

Will this work?

1) record all disk positions

2) backup/wipe the SD

3) clean 6.0 install on the SD, reapply key

4) bring 6.0 up, tell it 'new configuration'

5) assign the drives to their proper slots

here is where I get hazy

a)

6) start array

7) let it rebuild parity

8) run new permissions

9) parity check

b)

6) start array, do not rebuild parity yet

7) run new permissions

8) let it rebuild parity

9) parity check

the stop to 5.0 is almost useless (time wise, an extra parity check/rebuild that almost immediately gets redon at 6.0)

or c)

1) get a new case, mb, power supply (more power!!!)

2) get some 3/4tb drives (maybe 3, did I mention the existing 4.7 is all 2tb Hitachi)

3) make a new system, get a fresh key

4) get the 3, 3/4 setup

5) migrate the data

yeah yeah, C) might be more fun :) but is this even possible?

If you are going to do a) or b) a parity rebuild should not be necessary whether you go via v5 or not. Since no data will change no parity will need to change either. So, really no difference in a) or b) since you will leave out the parity rebuild. New permissions will be necessary. A parity check as a test is a good idea.

Of course, c) will let you start with bigger drives which you could make XFS if you wanted. The old system would be a backup.

Personally, I'd go with © ... and leave use the old system as a backup.

Once all is set up; then, if your need more capacity for your backup, replace the parity drive with a larger drive (adding the old parity to the array) ... and then, as you go forward, you can add larger drives to the backup server as well.

If, however, you already have good backups, then you can do either (a) or (b) ... doesn't really matter which order you build parity in.

There should be no reason to rebuild parity. Doing a new config and trusting parity should work.

I would think that you could combine the 5.0 and 6.0 steps and do the jump at one time.

But you are in somewhat untested waters here. As I recall there were some issues moving from 4.7 to 5.0 for some disks. A little fuzzy right now, but you should be able to find with some research. I do not think 6.0 would make those issues worse.

• 2 weeks later...