Thoughts on ASRock Rack Boards?

This one in particular:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157350

Anyone have any experience with this brand? This model?

Mostly concerned with reliability and memory compatibility, but any feedback is welcomed!

Thanks!

I have two ASrock Rack boards, and they have been rock solid. Have not needed customer support, so cant comment on how good/bad they may be.

This one in particular:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157350

Anyone have any experience with this brand? This model?

Mostly concerned with reliability and memory compatibility, but any feedback is welcomed!

Thanks!

I have a C2550D4I running in my Backup Server. It has been great from day one. Have upgraded FW easily. Love the IPMI feature. Very happy with it for the price.

I have to admit it is NOT as good as my Supermicro X10SL7-F (which is running my Main Server) and I would have bout Supermicro for my Backup Server too but could not find one which met my requirements. This one however did meet my requirements for a SFF (Mini-ITX) Server grade board which supported ECC Memory and had masses of SATA ports (12!!!). The Quad-Core Avoton C2550 Processor which is built is very nice for what I needed it for too (unRAID, 3 Dockers, 1 Windows 10 VM managing my backups).

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2550D4I#Specifications

Thanks for the quick feedback folks! Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much out there that I can get for under $500CDN for a dual socket 2011-v1 board, so I may get this one and just hope it works out. I'm having a real hard time justifying $500 for a motherboard, but it doesn't look like there are any other options with a similar feature set that are better...

Please feel free to suggest if you come across something under $500CDN! :)

C226 WS burned out.  Some chip on the bottom of the board went fizzt.  Was refunded by Amazon after lots of tumbleweed from AsRock.

The Q87 WS just plain stopped working.  One day I turned on the machine and nothing.  Again, AsRock tumbleweed.  Again, Amazon refunded.

Your experience is a bit disconcerting, but the reviews on newegg canada seem generally positive... Also, one thing that struck me was that AsRock addressed every customer complaint in the reviews, which bodes well (even though you did not experience that...).

Thanks for the quick feedback folks! Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much out there that I can get for under $500CDN for a dual socket 2011-v1 board, so I may get this one and just hope it works out. I'm having a real hard time justifying $500 for a motherboard, but it doesn't look like there are any other options with a similar feature set that are better...

Please feel free to suggest if you come across something under $500CDN! :)

C226 WS burned out.  Some chip on the bottom of the board went fizzt.  Was refunded by Amazon after lots of tumbleweed from AsRock.

The Q87 WS just plain stopped working.  One day I turned on the machine and nothing.  Again, AsRock tumbleweed.  Again, Amazon refunded.

Your experience is a bit disconcerting, but the reviews on newegg canada seem generally positive... Also, one thing that struck me was that AsRock addressed every customer complaint in the reviews, which bodes well (even though you did not experience that...).

I agree, the feedback given by HellDriverUK does not sound very good at all. There is infant mortality in EVERY batch of EVERY piece of consumer technology we buy because manufacturers do batch test and assume that there will be DOA's / Faults with a certain % of each batch (depending on what risks they are managing) and they factor this into their cost / service model.

More than anything I don't like the Warranty response HellDriverUK got from the manufacturer. Essentially Nil if I interpret the response correctly. Fortunately purchasing from a reputable reseller such as Amazon has facilitated an easy experience. In no part is that because of the manufacturer in this case though - which really sucks!

I find myself sighing with relief that I bought my ASRockRack Board (Which as I mention above also includes a CPU built-in) from a reputable reseller too which I know will manage any warranty issues I have on my behalf (with proof of purchase evidence of course). It makes me glad that I choose to buy from where I trust locally rather than where was the "cheapest online" (only $~10$AUD anyway) for that piece of mind.

That being said I do feel that ASRock / ASRockRack components are Generally of Good / V Good Quality AND for those components which pass the infant mortality period I would normally expect them to live a long happy life. As such I would recommend them to unRAID users (considering of course everything that has been noted above) if there isn't (for instance) a Supermicro alternative available!

FWIW I believe given my ASRockRack M/B has been running without fault for nearly 12 months I fall into this bracket (fingers crossed) and I can just realise the benefits of a well featured and fault free (hopefully) well built board!

:)

bah hah well thats concerning. I have the same WS board, though shes been running strong 24x7 for... hell its been over 2 years now I believe.