Backup dockers and their data from Cache drive

The next version of CA is going to have this in it (sometime this weekend).

But, as I'm not a real rsync guy I have a question

Using -avrtH, I get a ton of

rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/user/Appdata Backup/krusader/cache-30b58ef6daa1": No such file or directory (2)

(Plex gives a ton of these)

These files are symlinks.  The errors disappear if I do a --safe-links within the command.

Am I going to run into any problems with a restore on this?

I get a bunch of these as well on plex ONLY if I am going to a user share.  If I go directly to a disk share - I dont get those errors....

Myk

The next version of CA is going to have this in it (sometime this weekend).

But, as I'm not a real rsync guy I have a question

Using -avrtH, I get a ton of

rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/user/Appdata Backup/krusader/cache-30b58ef6daa1": No such file or directory (2)

(Plex gives a ton of these)

These files are symlinks.  The errors disappear if I do a --safe-links within the command.

Am I going to run into any problems with a restore on this?

I get a bunch of these as well on plex ONLY if I am going to a user share.  If I go directly to a disk share - I dont get those errors....

Myk

Well, that helps out huge (and also makes my life a ton more complicated :(  )  Gotta think about how to handle this now since is the md driver that isn't supporting the symlinks.    >:(

Well, that helps out huge (and also makes my life a ton more complicated :(  )  Gotta think about how to handle this now since is the md driver that isn't supporting the symlinks.    >:(

This is what I've always assumed was behind reports of some dockers not working with /mnt/user/appdata. I never experienced it myself but I have always used /mnt/cache/appdata.

This is what I've always assumed was behind reports of some dockers not working with /mnt/user/appdata. I never experienced it myself but I have always used /mnt/cache/appdata.

Funny thing is that I've always known in the back of my mind that md Fuse didn't properly support symlinks, and it just didn't click in when I started the addition to CA.

Already added an entry to docker FAQ about this (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40937.msg466185#msg466185)

Now if I could only get the wife to stop watching movies so I can get back to development on this.

Great discussion and useful.  Appears there have been many opinions on best practices.  Can someone post the latest version of the complete script for us Newbies?  Since I lost my cache drive recently, and had to rebuild, I'd like to ensure I don't have to do that again!

Thanks in advance!

Wait a couple of days and it'll be integrated into CA

Great discussion and useful.  Appears there have been many opinions on best practices.  Can someone post the latest version of the complete script for us Newbies?  Since I lost my cache drive recently, and had to rebuild, I'd like to ensure I don't have to do that again!

Thanks in advance!

I'm a patient man!  Will do that...and apply it to our other discussion...

I'm actually really excited for this. This is  the last piece missing from my setup to be able to call it complete and give me peace of mind.  Thank you for all your hard work!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Here's the alpha build for CA

Still not feature complete (notably missing, an abort backup function, and a restore function)

Save this file on your flashdrive https://github.com/Squidly271/community.applications/raw/master/archive/community.applications-2016.04.26.txz

From the command prompt,

installpkg /boot/community.applications-2016.04.26.txz

Couple of notes:

System makes a share called CommunityApplicationsAppdataBackup.  Your choice what drive it goes onto.

- Supports running a script before and after to perform any housekeeping with docker(s) prior to shutdown or to stop plugins.

- Easily customizable rsync options

- Ability to not run the rsync if you don't want to (ie: use the start / stop scripts instead)

- Source for appdata is limited to cache drive or a share mounted via unassigned devices (if its already on the array, its already redundant, and it adds a ton more complicated logic if its stored on the array because appdata has to be completely on a single disk due to symlink compatibility

- Destination is any disk in array or share mounted via unassigned devices

- No support for backup "sets" ie: day 1, day 2, etc.  But you can add scripting via the stop script to support this

- Cron support for daily, weekly, monthly.  (Or fully customizable cron settings)

- Log file is stored within the docker.img file (my initial backup log file is > 300Meg) so as to not have to force anyone to increase their tmp file size

- Log files deleted at start of every backup, but copied to the flash drive for viewing

- Notification upon start and completion (if an error occurred, the completion notification will actually be a warning)

- because I'm not publishing the new .plg file yet, cron jobs (or the actual CA modifications) will not survive a reboot.

CA itself is unchanged, so you're not going to mess anything up by installing it just to see the interface (interface is Settings - CA - Backup Appdata)

Just like any of the other scripts here, the first run will take awhile, and subsequent ones will be relatively fast.

(until release, there'll probably be daily updates - you can always see what the latest file to grab is from here: https://github.com/Squidly271/community.applications/tree/master/archive )

System makes a share called CommunityApplicationsAppdataBackup.  Your choice what drive it goes onto.

Good join Squid!

Why not make it so we can choose a share outself?

Then we can say which share is appdata, and which is the appdatabackup. I would like that more, then I can use my own name on the share.

Need to say it again, good job!

Good join Squid!

Then we can say which share is appdata, and which is the appdatabackup. I would like that more, then I can use my own name on the share.

Because I didn't want to make it user friendly like that.  Alpha is alpha.  (and next rev already has that in it anyways)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Good join Squid!

Because I didn't want to make it user friendly like that.  Alpha is alpha.  (and next rev already has that in it anyways)

If the next rev have it, there is no problem :) I am just using the stable ones anyway, since I don't have a test server :P

Good job!  ;D

Good join Squid!

If the next rev have it, there is no problem :) I am just using the stable ones anyway, since I don't have a test server

Good job!  ;D

Ye of little faith

Good join Squid!

If the next rev have it, there is no problem :) I am just using the stable ones anyway, since I don't have a test server :P

Good job!  ;D

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40262.msg467501#msg467501
  • 2 months later...

I installed the CA Backup a month or two ago and its been running faithfully for me.  And today, I lost my cache drive.  Fortunately, I had a spare server, so I pulled its cache drive (same size) and installed in my new system and set it up as the cache drive.  Now the drive already had a docker on it (no apps installed).  How should I proceed to do a restore?  Delete the docker.img file and start over?

Thanks in advance...