License question - Version Upgrades

Agreed, there has never been an upgrade fee.  However as far as I can remember, there has never been a complete commitment to that.  We/They can't know the future, and what could change in the future.  There had been recent talk of an upgrade fee, for a version with added functionality, but it didn't happen.  And they have now added virtualization and dual parity with no apparent upgrade costs, those 2 features were probably their best opportunity for an added fee for optional enhancements.

I personally would prefer a small upgrade fee once in awhile, just to assure their ongoing viability.

No-one, probably not even Limetech can say for certain that all later version upgrades will be free.  However, as others have said, historically all upgrades have been free.  However, I take the view that if they invest in developing some new feature, there is no reason why they could not make a charge for that work if they felt the need.  And it's probably unlikely, but what if they needed to license some new software feature from some other company in the future?  They might need to pay for that, and again, it would be reasonable for them to pass it on. 

I always take the view that I pay for the version what I am getting now.  Anything that comes in the future is a bonus.

• 5 months later...

Agreed, there has never been an upgrade fee.  However as far as I can remember, there has never been a complete commitment to that.  We/They can't know the future, and what could change in the future.  There had been recent talk of an upgrade fee, for a version with added functionality, but it didn't happen.  And they have now added virtualization and dual parity with no apparent upgrade costs, those 2 features were probably their best opportunity for an added fee for optional enhancements.

I personally would prefer a small upgrade fee once in awhile, just to assure their ongoing viability.

I also wouldn't mind something like this but could turn into a licensing nightmare.

As an example, and don't hate on me for this!, I don't currently use or care to use Docker or Virtualization in any way shape or form so I would have seen absolutely zero value in paying for an upgrade.

Now with that being said, I do see value in dual parity and hopefully down the road, triple parity, larger disk arrays or multi array licenses. Or to be blunt, storage focused features. So I would defiantly pay for an upgrade for that. I'm all about storage when it comes to unRAID and is the only thing I use it for. I truly wish unRAID was broken up into multiple product lines as I would strictly want the storage portion of the OS.

So how would one upgrade without paying for a bunch of features they don't want and would not use? That's a tough question and a tough sell. If LT ever went that direction, it would be interesting to see how it would take shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Licenses are valid for any release of unRAID.   

Therefore if you have a paid license then you are already good to go without paying any additional license fee, and the additional features are there if you want them but you are not forced to use them.   

If you have been using the free version then you have to buy a license as the free license is no longer available with v6 (although a free time-limited Trial license can be used to check out v6).