Unable to Setup Hyper v and VMware work station in side of a Windows 10 VM

Hi,

I have been looking through the forums but i cannot find a answer to the issues i am having with Hyper v and VMware workstation. I have recently moved from a HP micro server to a full desktop build with Asus Z170-A, i7 6700 k, 16GB Ram and 240 GB SSD.

The reason i did this was to consolidate my Nas with a new gaming machine and Home lab. The Nas is up and working perfectly, i also have the a windows 10 VM configured with GPU pass through.

I dont know if it is possible but i wanted to install vmware workstation and Hyper V on to my Unraid windows 10 VM, i am trying to build a home lab for passing server 2012 and VCP.

Now is the issue you cannot run VM's inside a unraid VM because when trying to enable Hyper V i get a message "hyper v cpu does not support visualization" which it clearly does.

Vmware work station comes up with a error "vmware workstation and hyper-v are not compatible" this is problem with hyper v being enabled but This is because the Hyper-V role is installed and this conflicts with VMware Workstation. To disable Hyper-V from starting the following command can be used:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Then reboot but this does not take effect. i have also check role and features to turn hyper v off but its is already disabled. Is it possible to run vmware workstation and hyper v within a Unraid VM?

Thanks in advance

Adding the line has fixed the issue but now i have the following error when start a vm within vmware workstation

"This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.  This host does not support Intel VT-x."

My processor supports vt-x and virtualization is enable within the bios

You didn't enable nested visualization. If you want to stay on the stable version you will have enable nested visualization.

NOTE:  I only tested this with Intel, but it should work with AMD as well.  Please make sure you have all VMs stopped (as well as VM manager) before doing this.

First, from command line, type the following:

modprobe -r kvm_intel

Then type this:

modprobe kvm_intel nested=1

DONE!  Now go install another hypervisor as a VM on unRAID!

If you have an AMD-based CPU and want to try this, just replace the word "intel" with "amd" in the commands above and it should work.

and add it to the boot parameters

To make this a permanent setting (survive reboot), go to your main page of the unraid console, click on your Flash drive, and edit the syslinux configuration.

From here you can add the correct kernel boot parameter: kvm_intel.nested=1

Mine looks like:

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel /bzimage

append initrd=/bzroot kvm_intel.nested=1

Hopefully new versions of UnRAID will include this setting out of the box.

Or you can switch to the beta version (which i am currently using) and its enabled by default.

• 4 months later...

I am having exact same issues as the poster.  running latest version of unraid, trying to run VMware workstation inside of a Windows 10 VM.

I have tried the steps as highlighted in this document with the exception of modprobe, as I do not know where to execute this command, if I have tried from within unraid ssh as well as windows 10 VM.

VMware workstation version 12 is what I'm using.

trying to do this as I cannot figure out how to install a VM using a .ovf template (unless someone can help with that ?)

Thank you