No GPU passthrough after restarting the VM but works after restarting unraid.

Hey!

Problem: I have problems with GPU passthrough with my windows 10 VM. Everything works perfectly until I restart my VM. Then the screen stops working. It finds no signal at all. I have to reboot the entire unraid of the screen to work again.

Hardware:

Core i5 4460

GD65 MSI Z87 Gaming Motherboard

8 GB DDR 3 G.Skill tridentx.

MSI G210 graphics card. (You know this is a old card, newly bought, but just wanted something that gave me PCIe output because unraid dont seem to work with Intel HD graphics. Just want to have picture and will not do anything demanding.)

Things I've tried:

I changed the motherboard BIOS to use Intel HD (IDG) for unraid and not the graphics card (PEG).

Finds no new BIOS for the graphics card.

Have tried to manually provide unriad GPU ROM file. This gave me an error message, so I could not start the VM. What I did was to first download the BIOS file to the G210 from http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/. I put the file in a share. I added, "x-vga = on, romfile = / mnt / user / sharename / foldername / rom.bin" after "qemu: arg value = 'vfio-pci host = 01: 00.0, trick = root.1, addr = 00.0, multifunction = on " because I have sealbios. I changed the foldernames so that was right in my case.

One question I have is whether to change the "rom.bin" to the name of the BIOS file. The file I downloaded was not a .bin file, but a .rom. Is the file right or wrong?

When this did not work I download gpuz and save the video card BIOS to a .rom file. This did not work either. The same error when I try to start V M. Seems more like it is wrong to my code.

I've tried to create a OVMF-based VM. Got no image, so could not install windows. Tried to install windows with graphics card this time and not through remote connection. Did not tried to restart unraid before starting this VM. The graphis card already had stopt working because of the first VM with sealbios.

I read on unraid community to unraid 6.2 would fix something similar problem when graphics card stopped working after rebooting VM a few times. Do not know if this was exactly the same problem as mine but it seems like it to me. I have unraid 6.1.8 right now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It works with a GTX 670!Today, I talked with Nvidia and they told me, that´s  a special issue and they´ve no fix for this. Also a firmware update is not available to fix this problem.

here is a small list of GPUs that will work.

HD4870

HD4890

GTX670

GTX980ti

I´ve tried to remove the graphic card with SSH. Theres some possibilities to remove the card without unplugging or rebooting. Unplugging the card via SSH was succsessful, but that has not helped. I think the GPU has a kind of hibernation and only a complete shutdown or reboot of unraid can reset this card.