UnRAID Server Case Recommendations

bombz

case wise go as big as you can physically handle...

I am looking for myself for an expansion at the moment.. I really want 15 hotswap bays externally reachable... Preferably even more...

Let me know if you come across anything -- 15 would be a nice number / hot-swap drive bays

I am tossing a different CPU and RAM in this week, due to my issue last week.

My system seems so armature compared to some of the systems ran here

If you're looking for a tower case, even a pretty large one, you're usually capped at about 15 drives, without getting really creative.  You can get a case that has 9 top-to-bottom 5.25 bays, and fit it with 3 5x3 cages for a total of 15 hot-swap bays.  I have seen a couple of tower cases that can fit 4 5x3 cages (like this one).

Otherwise, it's easy to find rack-mount cases on ebay for pretty cheap, with tons of hot-swappable bays, though I can't speak to their cooling abilities, especially if noise is a concern.  You might also look into external eSATA enclosures, and connect one to your current box, if you don't mind the additional footprint.

I am still using the good old CM 590 case and have it equipped with:

4 times a 2x3 cage to hold 12 HDDs (my data disks)

1 times a 1x4 cage to hold 4 SSDs (my cache pool)

So this midi-tower case holds 16 disks altogether. All disks are hot-swappable and as you can see SSDs take far less space, something you might want to consider in your purchase.

Mine cost a pretty penny - but I'm good for the foreseeable future.

I'm using a LSI 9206-16e card (4x HD external mini sas connectors). Its currently tied to a single Areca 4036 External SAS JBOD Enclosure, with its own SAS Expander, so I can expand to other enclosures down the line. Of course if 8+TB drives were actually available locally (or affordably for that matter), I wouldn't need to buy another enclosure.

If you're looking for a tower case, even a pretty large one, you're usually capped at about 15 drives, without getting really creative.  You can get a case that has 9 top-to-bottom 5.25 bays, and fit it with 3 5x3 cages for a total of 15 hot-swap bays.  I have seen a couple of tower cases that can fit 4 5x3 cages (like this one).

Otherwise, it's easy to find rack-mount cases on ebay for pretty cheap, with tons of hot-swappable bays, though I can't speak to their cooling abilities, especially if noise is a concern.  You might also look into external eSATA enclosures, and connect one to your current box, if you don't mind the additional footprint.

I just ordered myself the Antec Lansin 1200 V3... I found that case earlier, it is a bit expensive but I have not found anything else cheaper and capable of holding 12 5 1/4" drives (meaning 4 bays that do 5in3). I allready have one Supermicro 5in3 and will try to find two more.. That will keep me going for  while longer..

Drives are indeed getting larger and larger but unfortunately so are video files... When I started out collecting a movie was a couple of 100megs, now 7 gig is regular...

Just found two used supermicro 5in3'a on Amazon, bought those... I allready have one in my current system and its really a good quality product..

Now I only have to find a way of modding my current 4in1 2,5" supermicro into the system without taking up an slot.. Then I can add the final 5in3 case... That way I will have 20 regular drives and 4 SSD's.. That will simply need to suffice... Otherwise I wil expand to another server.. My current case I will reuse for my backup system.. My backup system will be reused for my new to be build desktop setup :-)

I just ordered myself the Antec Lansin 1200 V3... I found that case earlier, it is a bit expensive but I have not found anything else cheaper and capable of holding 12 5 1/4" drives (meaning 4 bays that do 5in3). I allready have one Supermicro 5in3 and will try to find two more.. That will keep me going for  while longer..

Drives are indeed getting larger and larger but unfortunately so are video files... When I started out collecting a movie was a couple of 100megs, now 7 gig is regular...

Google it,  many reports of dodgy backplanes.  Not really surprising given the price point of the Norco.

I must have gotten lucky.  I have three 4224s in service and except for a user error have had NO backplane problems with mine.  NOTE user error was breaking the plastic shell of the power plug on the backplane when I pushed too hard and it slipped.  Bought two new backplanes but even broke the backplane still works just didn't want to chance it.
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Conversely, if you need a bunch of drives but in a compact case, look at the Fractal Node 304. Holds up to 6 HDDs and at least a couple SSDs. Used that case in my recent build and am quite pleased with how little space it takes up. Now have to balance drive quantity vs drive size, as currently have 4x 3TB WD Reds, one going for parity.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2017 at 7:04 AM, Mortumus said:

Nice .. that looks like the set up I'm looking for

I'm still running my initial Unraid setup (2014) in that case, but now all 20 bays are in use.  I only had problem once on 1 bay, maybe was the cable, never happened again since then.  Really like that case and 5-in-3, it's all Aluminum, feels High-end.