Looking for a current motherboard that supports WOL S3 SLEEP and current unraid

Hi everyone,

my current unraid box has died and I need to replace it reasonably quickly  :-[. It took a great deal of time to find compatible hardware previously so I'm hoping someone can help me here please.

My requirements are (in order):

• currently available motherboard and CPU
  • supports WOL properly in Unraid (6 or 5) - no network broken, gui broken... it just works
  • the ability to support large number of drives (I have a NORCO 4224 case with 24 drives)
  • works with LSI 9211-8i SAS Adapter ie PCI Express 2.0  x4 http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118112 - I have 3 of these

The other stuff should be AOK ... CPU and RAM I will just get the best whatever is compatible with the motherboard. I'd love to play with Docker ... but if it's a choice ... I'll take WOL as this has to be always available.

So is this possible or am I dreaming?

I have tried to search for Wake On Lan .. .WOL. ...S3 ... in the forums but there seems to really be nothing current or relevant and the WOL thread on the Wiki seems to be 2011 (hence my first criteria)... and going through peoples signatures hasn't yielded anything for me as of yet.

In the past I found it very difficult to obtain S3 / WOL compatable hardware with unraid ... is this still the case? I seem to recall something about certain LAN chipsets having more issues (realtek perhaps)?

thanks

belorion

Come on guys!  I know that there are more than a few of you who are using WOL.  Give belorion the benefit of what you are using.  If you have a horror story, you might relate that so he would be able to steer clear of that hardware.

I have never attempted to use WOL but I suspect that the more expensive boards would most likely provide reliable support for WOL.  The issues with S3 and WOL should been eliminated with more recent MB's as the hardware designers and software writers have had time to resolve the early teething issues.  You might have a look at vendors like Supermicro as I know a lot of folks here are quite satisfied with them.  You should probably also indicate if you ever intend on using this setup to run VM's and/or transcode video-on-the-fly as that would narrow the choice of MB's and CPU's. 

• 1 month later...

In fact many mother board support WOL, this not a special feature.

All my mother board support, I try 3 mother board with unRAID without problem.

WOL support isn't the issue, it's S3 sleep. Full servers aren't traditionally meant to sleep, so many server boards and HBA's don't support it and have trouble waking. If you shut the machine down totally, then WOL works just fine on 99.9% of boards.
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for trying folks : )

*apologies* for the extended delay in responding but I have been extremely unwell (off work for 3 months).

Yes it's the full-cycle that is the problem .. .going to sleep and coming back in an inconsistent state that is the problem (LAN not working, system unreliable etc). This needs to "just-work" for all the non-technical people in the family ... anything that doesn't "just-work" is a FAIL (no WAF).

I had hoped that there were some people needing to sleep their systems (to save power if nothing else). I guess I will just have to roll the dice.

thanks

belorion

In fact many mother board support WOL, this not a special feature.

All my mother board support, I try 3 mother board with unRAID without problem.

Hi Benson,

Would you mind providing the exact model numbers of the motherboards that you used that worked with WOL etc please?

thanks

belorion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Rather than create a new WOL thread I am going to piggy-back off my earlier post.

Since my Sept. 2016 post I upgraded my unRAID configuration with a new MB, CPU and SATA card. MB is a different brand (Gigabyte vs. Biostar) and after getting everything back together and my PLEX server running optimally I decided to go back and tackle the S3 sleep/WOL issue. Research on this subject http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL) suggests a simple process but to my dismay I have essentially the same problem as with my previous hardware configuration.

1. S3 is enabled in BIOS. There is no specific "WOL enable" in the BIOS but setting "Wake on PCI" works essentially the same.

2. Executing

ethtool eth0

shows that WOL is available with option 'g'.

3. Sending a "Sleep" command from the unRAID GUI results in anticipated log output: 

Jan 16 10:16:21 Tower s3_sleep: Enter sleep mode
Jan 16 10:16:22 Tower kernel: PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.

and the computer goes dark and silent.

4. Ping to computer times out and router deletes unRAID from the "Attached Devices" roster.

5. Sending magic packet results in the computer powering up, becoming visible to the router and responding to ping requests.

6. unRAID login attempts via telnet or GUI are unsuccessful.

7. The monitor connected to the unRAID box remains dark.

8. My only option is a hard reboot.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,

ron

Rather than create a new WOL thread I am going to piggy-back off my earlier post.

Since my Sept. 2016 post I upgraded my unRAID configuration with a new MB, CPU and SATA card. MB is a different brand (Gigabyte vs. Biostar) and after getting everything back together and my PLEX server running optimally I decided to go back and tackle the S3 sleep/WOL issue. Research on this subject http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL) suggests a simple process but to my dismay I have essentially the same problem as with my previous hardware configuration.

1. S3 is enabled in BIOS. There is no specific "WOL enable" in the BIOS but setting "Wake on PCI" works essentially the same.

2. Executing

ethtool eth0

shows that WOL is available with option 'g'.

3. Sending a "Sleep" command from the unRAID GUI results in anticipated log output: 

Jan 16 10:16:21 Tower s3_sleep: Enter sleep mode
Jan 16 10:16:22 Tower kernel: PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.

and the computer goes dark and silent.

4. Ping to computer times out and router deletes unRAID from the "Attached Devices" roster.

5. Sending magic packet results in the computer powering up, becoming visible to the router and responding to ping requests.

6. unRAID login attempts via telnet or GUI are unsuccessful.

7. The monitor connected to the unRAID box remains dark.

8. My only option is a hard reboot.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,

ron

Random thoughts. 

Have you gone to the Gigabyte website and downloaded the manual?  (It is often different then what was packed in the box. Often, these differences will be in the BIOS settings section!) ) 

Have you checked to see that you have the latest BIOS version?

Have you googled the problem?  (The wider Internet will probably have more people who have encountered the same problem.  Be creative and use a number of different search terminology and questions! ) 

Last resort---  Call Gigabyte support...

• 2 weeks later...