unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta14b-x86_64 Available

limetech

Also, it is possible to disable uncommited changes warnings. See settings -> Confirmations.

That's handy to know.

One other thing I would like to see is within the docker containers advanced settings it'd be nice to see what command is being run when you start.  I know that technically all the information is there, but I think it would be a nice feature.

Thank you!

Pretty sure its bonienl you want to thank rather than me..

Thats weird...I'm certain I clicked the quote button on the proper post.

Anyhow...yes, thank you bonienl!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgraded to the 6 beta finally and love the new look. Here are a couple of issues I have noticed so far:

-the dark theme does not show grayed out text fields in a way that you can know they are unusable.

-I zapped the partition table of an empty array drive, changed it's filesystem to btrfs in the unraid interface and then started the array. As expected I needed to format it which I did. Everything came online and looks good EXCEPT....parity is still showing as "valid" which seems incorrect. Sure enough, I started a parity check and millions of errors being corrected so it looks like it is basically rebuilding parity.

Shouldn't it state parity is invalid after a filesystem change in such a way? If someone doesn't run a check they may assume parity is good when it is not.

Upgraded to the 6 beta finally and love the new look. Here are a couple of issues I have noticed so far:

-the dark theme does not show grayed out text fields in a way that you can know they are unusable.

-I zapped the partition table of an empty array drive, changed it's filesystem to btrfs in the unraid interface and then started the array. As expected I needed to format it which I did. Everything came online and looks good EXCEPT....parity is still showing as "valid" which seems incorrect. Sure enough, I started a parity check and millions of errors being corrected so it looks like it is basically rebuilding parity.

Shouldn't it state parity is invalid after a filesystem change in such a way? If someone doesn't run a check they may assume parity is good when it is not.

Parity should stay valid when formatting through the UI.  The array is started when it formats.  How exactly did you "zap the parition table"? That's most likely what is causing the errors, and was an unneccessary step.

Do you mean that the disk was already assigned to the array?  If so this would be expected behaviour as unRAID has no knowledge that you did something outside its control.

The correct way to change the format for a disk assigned to the array is to stop the array; click on the disk in the Main tab and change the format; restart the array (when the disk will show as unmountable); click the check box to say you are happy to format the disk and then go ahead with the format.    If you follow that procedure then parity remains valid throughout the process.

Shouldn't it state parity is invalid after a filesystem change in such a way?

How should the system know if you performed some action on the disk outside of its control?  If you make the file system adjustments under the control of unRAID, with the array up and running, then parity will remain valid.  I moved my entire array from RFS to XFS without invalidating the parity.

To be fair, on some TFT panels the difference is nearly impossible to see.  The s***ty screen I have on my old work laptop makes it difficult to see the difference unless the brightness is maxed out.

You just gave yourself an excellent reason to upgrade  ;)

(but understood that mileage may vary here)

Wow thanks for all the replies guys. Got 5 people saying the same thing over and over again lol.

To answer the question on why I zapped the partition tables (zap through gdisk, basically deleting it all). That disk was still showing as mbr-unaligned and it was the only way to get it aligned again as simply formatting to btrfs through the web gui did not change it. OCD I know ;) I was also thinking the web gui might change it over to gpt on a fresh new format but I was mistaken. I guess it doesn't for 2tb drives.

For the other disks I'll change them as you guys state, only through the web interface, as to not invalidate parity. Thanks again!

EDIT: Man, it's checking and correcting parity at 11MB/sec and will finish in 3 days. Is there no way to make it go faster? I seem to remember the initial parity build being faster.

Thanks.

So, two questions:

Why does GUI report in C and alerts are in F ?

And how do I change the temperature threshold reporting because those are normal temps for me?

Yup, the same issue here.  I'm a new (both new to Unraid, and newly paid) user. 

I just turned on the notifications, but pretty much immediately turned them off as I started recieving false overheat alerts via email:

Event: unRAID Disk 4 temperature
Subject: Alert [TOWER] - Disk 4 overheated (93 )
Description: Hitachi_HDT721010SLA360_STF604MR237MAP (sdc)
Importance: alert

My unRaid is set to display in degrees Celcius.  Warning and Critical disk temperature thresholds are also in Celcius.  However, the SMART temperature of 93 (F) is triggering the alerts.

Thanks.

So, two questions:

Why does GUI report in C and alerts are in F ?

And how do I change the temperature threshold reporting because those are normal temps for me?

I just turned on the notifications, but pretty much immediately turned them off as I started recieving false overheat alerts via email:

My unRaid is set to display in degrees Celcius.  Warning and Critical disk temperature thresholds are also in Celcius.  However, the SMART temperature of 93 (F) is triggering the alerts.

Try changing the values in display settings, apply them, and then change them back.  The temperature alerts work 100% perfect for me regardless of whether I use Celsius or Fahrenheit.

As an aside, with every one that has stated that it doesn't work, the one common denominator is that when its not working there is no F or C in the email, which again mine displays perfectly

I am getting the following message in the system log, while my network gets locked up for about 5-7 seconds:

Tower kernel: r8169 0000:04:00.0 eth0: link up

I have Realtek RTL8111B LAN Controller on my MB. I remember this being an issue in v5 beta cycle where if I remember correctly the solotion was to move to disable the r8169 kernel driver and use r8168 driver from the vendor.

I understood that recently we moved back to r8169.

Is there anyone else experiencing this?

My network was going continously up and down with the above message in the log. Sometimes there was 10 minutes between two lockups, sometimes hours. There was no lockups at all if the server was in idle.

I recompiled unRAID with disabled r8169 kernel driver and compiled r8168-8.039.00 from realtek instead of this.

Problem went away. For two days, the link is rock solid as before.

I suspect more people will have this problem when v6 becomes final.

Sure it does, see attached examples ...

From a useability standpoint, these color choices, though viewable to some users, fail WCAG AA and AAA Accessibility Testing (In fact, the non-greyed-out fields also fail):

Mejlcmc.png

Of course, users with accessibility issues do not need to use the dark theme, but making this theme more accessible is easily do-able...

Just my 2cents :).

Try changing the values in display settings, apply them, and then change them back.  The temperature alerts work 100% perfect for me regardless of whether I use Celsius or Fahrenheit.

As an aside, with every one that has stated that it doesn't work, the one common denominator is that when its not there is no F or C in the email, which again mine displays perfectly

Tried setting the display setting to "F" (apply) and then back to "C" (apply).

It appears that it has worked, as I haven't received any emails as yet..  :)

So there's definitely a bug somewhere here...  PS.  My first ever install of unRaid was 6b9, and am now on 6b14.

Tried setting the display setting to "F" (apply) and then back to "C" (apply).

It appears that it has worked, as I haven't received any emails as yet..  :)

So there's definitely a bug somewhere here...  PS.  My first ever install of unRaid was 6b9, and am now on 6b14.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but with stuff that's easy to test for failure, I test.  Set your warning temperature to an obscenely low temp and see if you get a warning.  Then you can be confident that when a fan fails and a drive begins to overheat you will be warned.

I have noticed over the last few days that I have been getting email notifications very sporadically. I have been doing some internal testing and might know what is going on but it would be interesting to know if anyone else is having the same problems.

Theory: Email notifications are directly tied to browser notifications and both must be enabled in order to get email notifications.

Detail: I only get email notifications if the browser Notification entity is also enabled. Also I have noticed that I do not get sent email notifications until I log into the unRAID web gui and then after a few seconds the browser notifications gets triggered with (Notice [unRAID] - array health report [PASS]) and then it sends me an email. As a test I turned off browser Array status notifications and have not received an email in the last 3 days.

I am assuming this is not normal behavior?

When I was on beta10 (and probably other betas), i was able to do 100mb/s when i was transfering files from/to unraid server but now the speed is at 50~60mb/s. I would like to retry the beta10. Is there a link somewhere where i can download this specific version?

What do the 'active array' and 'inactive array' events actually signify, and when should they be produced?

I have the following three consecutive notification entries:

2015-03-05 02:09	unRAID active array	Notice [TOWER] - array is active	Array has 1 active disk	normal
2015-03-05 01:53	unRAID inactive array	Notice [TOWER] - array turned inactive	Array has 0 active disks	normal
2015-03-04 14:52	unRAID active array	Notice [TOWER] - array is active	Array has 7 active disks (including parity & cache)	normal

In the past, I've only seen these status entries appear as the system boots up, but with a varied number of 'active disks' each time - I'm puzzled about what it really means - can the array start without all the disks being active?

Last night, the '0 active' and '1 active' messages appeared without reboot.  Currently, three drives are shown with green 'blobs', but there is no '3 active' message.

What do the 'active array' and 'inactive array' events actually signify, and when should they be produced?

I have the following three consecutive notification entries:

2015-03-05 02:09	unRAID active array	Notice [TOWER] - array is active	Array has 1 active disk	normal
2015-03-05 01:53	unRAID inactive array	Notice [TOWER] - array turned inactive	Array has 0 active disks	normal
2015-03-04 14:52	unRAID active array	Notice [TOWER] - array is active	Array has 7 active disks (including parity & cache)	normal

In the past, I've only seen these status entries appear as the system boots up, but with a varied number of 'active disks' each time - I'm puzzled about what it really means - can the array start without all the disks being active?

Last night, the '0 active' and '1 active' messages appeared without reboot.  Currently, three drives are shown with green 'blobs', but there is no '3 active' message.

I turned mine off because they were driving me nuts, but I believe that it refers to the number of drives spun up.  Personally, I think its a useless feature.

Question, also maybe not the best thread and could get buried in here, but someone is bound to look at it and confirm/deny.

HDD's seem to spin up when they shouldn't when browsing the Web GUI.

Explanation:

I head to the main page and see all drives spun down except for one disk that I use for a data storage location in a KVM VM with a QCOW2 image (as expected).

I browse to the docker tab (3 are running, all good here).

Browse over to the KVM tab to check on my one Win7 VM that is running, it takes a couple of moments to come up (could of been what triggered the drives?), all is good and running.

I RDP into the Win 7 machine, all looks good, nothing really going on, don't move/do anything, just verify UTorrent is running/doing its thing.

I go back to the Main Web GUI page (this is all in a matter of like a minute) and 3 additional drives are no spun up, 1 parity, and 2 array data drives!

I didn't actually access or browse to any files, the VM was running the whole time, VM is on the cache drive... Not sure why this behavior/action would spin up any drives, but it certainly seemed to.

I looked quickly at the system log, but don't see anything useful in regards to the disks spinning up... All the info in there is from hours prior.