SuperSync

Has anyone have experience with SuperSync, iTunes, UnRaid and multiple clients?

My current setup:

I currently have a UnRaid file server holding all my media files.  Just the files nothing in terms of itunes.

I have a laptop setup as an "itunes server".  I use it mainly to stream to my Apple TV.  It is hard wired to a router the server is connected to, mainly for a faster connection then wireless.  I guess I would use it as a Master.  Itunes on this laptop is pointed to the server with the library file (itl) on the local HD.  This laptop stays on and itunes is always open.

I have several laptops running itunes, pointing to the Server with the library file (itl) on the local HD. Laptop 1 (my laptop), Laptop 2 (wifes laptop), and Laptop 3 (daughters laptop).

(Can you tell I love computers!!!!)

My desired solution

I am trying to ensure all library files (itl) in itunes, on all laptops, has the same links to the media files on the server.  Each user needs to be able to open itunes, add/delete files in itunes, and that updates other laptops itunes itl file.

My actions thus far

I have tried to put a library file (itl) on the server and have all laptops access it. This doesn't work becuse when one laptop has itunes open, the itl file is locked and is only read-only when the other laptops have itunes opened.

In SuperSync, I have tried to use the setup "Use itunes and supersync with a network drive".  This didn't pan out as well.  I setup the Master on the laptop (itunes server).  The setup was having itunes point to the UnRaid server for the media files location and the itl file is on the laptop.  I then tried to setup a subset library on another laptop.  I followed the instructions from the Supersync website, which is confusing so I may not have done it right.  But started copying media files to the laptop being used as a subset.

So at this point I am trying to clean up the media files and two libraries to get both itl files to match.  In supersync of laptop 1 I have connected to the itunes server laptop.  This only allows me to see the library in read-only mode.  This doesn't help in cleaning everything up.  I have given up on doing this. 

Now I'm working to clean up the library file (itl) on laptop 1.  Once this is done I will copy the cleaned file to all other laptops.  But, again, how to keep them all sync'd?

• 1 month later...

SuperSync just added support for some NAS systems, but not yet Unradid/slackware. However, the NAS version is a simple java app, so if you're inclined, you can download one of the Linux/NAS versions, unzip, and just run the script to start.sh. You may need to edit the start/stop to match the path, and you will want to start the script on system boot.

That said, SuperSync works best by using your NAS as the central itunes library, then have one or more computers connect to it.. adding music/playlists... and keep a subset of your music on the local hard drive. If you really want one computer with the itunes library set as the NAS, pick just one.. all other computers in the house should have a copy or subset on their local drives. Which actually makes sense, since my music taste is different than my entire households, and my laptop, I don't want to lose access to my music when I unplug from the LAN.

With the above setup, you can access your itunes content from any machine. You can get or put music from any machine. You can remotely access your NAS SuperSync library with port forwarding to 5360.

As new music is added to any computer in the house, use SuperSync to connect to the "NAS" and "put" all tracks that are new.

Hope that helps!

• 2 months later...

I use Supersync on a Mac and was wondering about a version for UnRaid too. So I emailed them, this was the reply:

We are currently working on Netgear and QNAP, however, we will queue this up as a NAS system to support as well. We have been receiving quite a few requests for various NAS and you would surely see a support for this in a few months down the line.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,

SuperSync Support