[Solved] How to mount my bluray in my ubuntu vm xml

I have a LG WH14NS40 installed in my server box, I am running the latest beta for Unraid. I am trying to decide whether to go through a docker app in the vm or use to go another route and use this https://github.com/donmelton/video_transcoding setup. Which the docker app i found is is based on. I got a Ubuntu VM running and i have installed makemkv, vlc, ffmpeg, git, dockerengine,etc.. to get ready to rip and transcode my collection for plex but the only "optical drive" i seem to have is a mounted ubuntu iso from the vm setup and install. I am out of necessity running the VM in VNC from my main pc. I see no options in the VM creation/edit area to add anything other than hard disks, and iso disk images. Linux hardware says the bluray burner is compatible. I looked in the xml there seemed to be an area i might be able to add it under devices manually? but have not clue outside of that as far as where to begin and what to write etc. Closest info to this I could see dealt with vmware and another post that was talking about adding a dvd drive to windows vm. Please have mercy on me ;p

I am a complete noob to linux based systems, unraid, and server setup in general. Only a passing familiarity with programming in general. I am learning as i encounter each hurdle.

I tried the  makemkv-rdp yesterday before installing it manually abut when i started it up it went to the program then told me the license was old i canceled and then the program would no longer open for me properly like it was glitched. If i can't get it to run maybe i could reinstall and look at the xml to steal the device setting though? Worth a second shot. Will look into it again.

I tried the  makemkv-rdp yesterday before installing it manually abut when i started it up it went to the program then told me the license was old i canceled and then the program would no longer open for me properly like it was glitched. If i can't get it to run maybe i could reinstall and look at the xml to steal the device setting though? Worth a second shot. Will look into it again.

You have to find the latest key on the makemkv forum, then add the key to the config file as described in the makemkv thread in my signature. If the config file is not created, create it.

are the librabries and the audio codecs updated in the docker? I know when i installed it it had a drawn out process of updating libraries and updating ffmpeg stuff to work with mkaemkv.

It uses ffmpeg 2.8. Is there something in the newer versions that you need?

So i got the makemkv-rdp up and running thank you, had to fiddle with it since i accidentally left the /unraid path on the docker img ouch. Thank you guys for the help.

As far as getting the bluray mounted in the vm i looked back at the page i mentioned re a similar issue for a windows vm here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35504.0

I just went to tools tab under system devices towards the bottom under scsi devices i found my bluray was 5:0:0:0 and fed that into this xml code.

<controller type='scsi' index='0' model='virtio-scsi'/>

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='scsi'>

<source>

<adapter name='scsi_host12'/>

<address type='scsi' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>

</source>

<readonly/>

<address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>

</hostdev>

changes the host from 12 to my device number of 5 and the bus, target, and unit were all still the same 0's (I copied my vm xml to another document first because i messed it up the first time by getting a number wrong.) Then i inserted the xml code into the /devices area between two existing devices (for me i put it right after the /disk end cap. saved it and restarted my vm and poof i now have access to my bluray in my ubuntu vm.

So the good thing i now have 2 options for ripping my collection the makemkv-rdp docker and also inside my ubuntu vm.

Thanks for your time guy's

edited main post title for solved with a better title.

Ripped 5 in a row only hiccup is i have to click and open the drive to mount it about half the time so makemkv can see it but otherwise it seems to have worked without a hitch. Once i go to do some compression and transcoding i'll do a more in depth look at the videos to make sure they turn out well and i'll post back if your interested.

• 1 year later...