Alternatives to 4TB HGST 3.5" drive?

Been using these drives for quite some time. A year later the price has only dropped $10 and they have come out with 2 more larger sizes. I wouldn't mind using using a larger parity 8TB, but the cost of  a regular 8TB drive OEM is $500. I never jumped on the Seagate bandwagon with the 8TB Archive, just from years having Seagate issues and that drive didn't see priced at a normal introduction price. The Seagate archive is only $239, quite less expensive then ALL other's available. I have drives in my system that have been on for 4 years straight. I'll guess I'll need to wait and see what happens with that Seagate Archice model, unless someone has done an extensive break-in test on it for like a month to emulate a years worth of operation.

Thanks- sorry for being back. :)

I am not sure what the question is.

It is true 4TB drives are not changing price much ($25/TB is pretty low/good already, routinely seen on Fry's promo code email).

The archive drives (SMR) are different, and it is reasonable to use or not use as you see best for you workload.

The 8TB, and now 10TB drives, have put pressure on the 6TB pricing, but again the 4TB is already good.

I am not sure what the question is.

It is true 4TB drives are not changing price much ($25/TB is pretty low/good already, routinely seen on Fry's promo code email).

The archive drives (SMR) are different, and it is reasonable to use or not use as you see best for you workload.

The 8TB, and now 10TB drives, have put pressure on the 6TB pricing, but again the 4TB is already good.

I'd think corp ist just trying to max profit while they can upon the sales of the larger drives. Right now you can tell there isn't enough customer's buying the larger drives to start dropping the other prices. The Seagate Archive 8TB U think is too slow for me, but I'm not looking to consolidate drives at all since I have 14 empty slots BUT then again have been eye balling this drive:

https://www.amazon.com/HGST-Ultrastar-HUH728080ALE600-0F23267-Enterprise/dp/B00SA3N4TI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1469321912&sr=8-5&keywords=8tb+7200

Not sure I remember how to figure out how much GB is per $1.0. I can buy two 4TB drives and save $70. Then there's the whole nutty idea in my head I'd like to increase my parity drive to that HGST Helium so I can add larger drives. I'm not looking to consolidate at all. I bought a case for lots of drives and do indent to use it. :)

HGST 4TB - $157

HGST 8TB Helium $385

If you're buying a lot of drives, then consider buying a heap of the 8TB WD MyBook, bust them open and shuck the 8TB Helium out of there.  With the cost savings you can get a spare and "self-warranty".

The MyBooks have a WD80EZZX in them, which is probably going to be marketed as a WD Blue in the future.  Currently they only sell a Red and Purple in the 8TB in retail.  The EZZX in side the MyBook is currently a whitelabel drive.

I got my MyBooks at the same price as the Seagate Archive drives, and I don't see much difference, apart from consistent performance without the Seagate's shingling nonsense during extended writes.

As for the 8TB Reds, I had three of them.  One was a replacement for a DOA.  The other two had bad vibration.  I sold them and went back to my Seagates.

If you're buying a lot of drives, then consider buying a heap of the 8TB WD MyBook, bust them open and shuck the 8TB Helium out of there.  With the cost savings you can get a spare and "self-warranty".

The MyBooks have a WD80EZZX in them, which is probably going to be marketed as a WD Blue in the future.  Currently they only sell a Red and Purple in the 8TB in retail.  The EZZX in side the MyBook is currently a whitelabel drive.

I got my MyBooks at the same price as the Seagate Archive drives, and I don't see much difference, apart from consistent performance without the Seagate's shingling nonsense during extended writes.

As for the 8TB Reds, I had three of them.  One was a replacement for a DOA.  The other two had bad vibration.  I sold them and went back to my Seagates.

I have done that before, and even though drive external drives were much cheaper all I have was warranty issues. Thanks for the suggestion. Looking for the market to move quicker then it is now. My dream right no would be a good priced 4TB SSD.