unRAID Server Release 6.1 Available

The new update looks great. But is there a way of downloading the file and placing it into wherever the "plugins update" would look for it?

If I try updating over the WebUI, the download is just sooooo slow. I currently live in China, which throttles some connections going overseas...

Not sure what you're asking here.  If your connection is throttled, does it matter?  How are you going to get around that?

You can download the OS like a new user from lime-technology.com/downloads and then simply copy the bzroot, bzimage, readme.txt, and license files into the root of your flash device, then reboot your system.  If upgrading from an earlier unRAID version, you will need to disable and re-enable notifications if you use this method.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, I guess I was unclear :)

My other computers are often connected via a VPN, which makes downloading the zip (https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.1.0-x86_64.zip) pretty fast.

So I was wandering, if I could just put this zip on the flash drive and invoke the update from the WebUI with the system realizing there's already an update zip and using that instead of downloading...

I'd rather get around stopping the machine, opening it up, unplugging etc...

Thanks

This is off-topic and for that I apologize.  I wanted to reach the most possible unRAID users.  I'll be happy to move it to a better place anyone can suggest.

A user's wife clicked a link she should not have, and an encryption virus (commonly known as ransomware) came in and encrypted most of her system AND most of the files on the unRAID server!  Obviously, this is a very serious danger for unRAID users.  unRAID users are not necessarily more vulnerable to attack, but by its nature unRAID systems provide access to more users, family members who are often less experienced and more prone to click seductive links.  Plus, unRAID systems have FAR more to damage than most people have.

I think it's prudent for unRAID users to examine their accessibility policies and settings, and consider tightening them.  Consider providing read only access to users who like to click links.  And make sure that everything you have that's important is not just backed up, but backed up to a location that's generally inaccessible.  The following link has the story and more advice, plus other anecdotes.  Please follow up there, not here.

I got an encryption virus!!!

Sorry, I guess I was unclear :)

My other computers are often connected via a VPN, which makes downloading the zip (https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/stable/unRAIDServer-6.1.0-x86_64.zip) pretty fast.

So I was wandering, if I could just put this zip on the flash drive and invoke the update from the WebUI with the system realizing there's already an update zip and using that instead of downloading...

I'd rather get around stopping the machine, opening it up, unplugging etc...

Thanks

You do not need to remove the USB drive to do a manual update.    It is exposed on the network as the 'flash' share so you can easily update it from a client PC/Mac.

Rob - That was a scary and informative post, thank you for sharing! We access all files on our network through smb shares and same windows/unraid username and password. I can tighten up some policies but unsure what else to do and avoid this. I and my wife are cautious about opening files from unknown sources.

This is off-topic and for that I apologize.  I wanted to reach the most possible unRAID users.  I'll be happy to move it to a better place anyone can suggest.

A user's wife clicked a link she should not have, and an encryption virus (commonly known as ransomware) came in and encrypted most of her system AND most of the files on the unRAID server!  Obviously, this is a very serious danger for unRAID users.  unRAID users are not necessarily more vulnerable to attack, but by its nature unRAID systems provide access to more users, family members who are often less experienced and more prone to click seductive links.  Plus, unRAID systems have FAR more to damage than most people have.

I think it's prudent for unRAID users to examine their accessibility policies and settings, and consider tightening them.  Consider providing read only access to users who like to click links.  And make sure that everything you have that's important is not just backed up, but backed up to a location that's generally inaccessible.  The following link has the story and more advice, plus other anecdotes.  Please follow up there, not here.

I got an encryption virus!!!

I believe my flash drive may have got corrupted during the update process. Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows-based machine to run chkdsk. Any idea what I can do? Please see below for more details:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42657.0

6.1 runs a check disk automatically.

How did you install unRAID to begin with?  It needs another device with either Mac or Windows so you can format the flash in the first place.

Thanks for your message. Given all the error messages, one of the disks must be faulty. Either a corrupt flash drive or one of the array disks. The other thread lists some of the very many error messages that come up upon boot and shut-down.

Initially, I formatted the flash disk on my Mac. That's the same computer that I later copied the two updates files over (I initially did this over the network, but this failed and I ended up in a boot-loop). What's the best way to either fix the flash disk or find out whether it is even the flash disk or one of the other disks that is faulty? Or whatever else is leading to all these error messages since upgrade.

Thanks for your message. Given all the error messages, one of the disks must be faulty. Either a corrupt flash drive or one of the array disks. The other thread lists some of the very many error messages that come up upon boot and shut-down.

Initially, I formatted the flash disk on my Mac. That's the same computer that I later copied the two updates files over (I initially did this over the network, but this failed and I ended up in a boot-loop). What's the best way to either fix the flash disk or find out whether it is even the flash disk or one of the other disks that is faulty? Or whatever else is leading to all these error messages since upgrade.

You can repair the flash on a Mac. Shutdown your unraid server. Remove the flash drive. Plug it into a USB port on your Mac. Launch Disk Utility. Highlight the flash drive in the left window and select "Repair Disk". You should be able to follow the process in the log viewer window. Disk Utility will either give you a message that the disk appears to be ok or that the disk has been repaired. After the process is complete, quit disk utility. Eject the flash drive. Remove it and install back into the unraid server. Start the server. If Disk Utility didn't find any problems with the flash then you'll probably need to look elsewhere for the source of these issues.

Check for Updates is broken... when a new version of a plugin is available, it isn't displayed and plugin is only shown with current version.

Perhaps other plugin authors can check as well, this is happening ?

EDIT: my own mistake, I had an incorrect character in the PLG file itself  :-[

Successfully updated to v6.1.0 from V6.0.5 using the webgui plugin last night after clicking Check for Updates.

Windows 7 Pro VM, cache_dirs, and NERD plugins all seems to be working.  I like the ability to disable disk sharing at the Global Share Settings.  I wished it was there prior to V6.1.0 to save me the trouble of having to disable it in each disk share setting.

Check for Updates is broken... when a new version of a plugin is available, it isn't displayed and plugin is only shown with current version.

For CA on my development machine it is showing an update available for CA.  But that was from the nightly check.  Haven't tried manually checking

For CA on my development machine it is showing an update available for CA.  But that was from the nightly check.  Haven't tried manually checking

Just found out, it was my own mistake !!!!

Updates are working properly.

Hello

I am excited to see support for OpenELEC in this new update. I am running OpenELEC on multiple stand-alone machines in my house.

One of those is sitting literally right next to my Unraid server, connected to my A/V receiver via HDMI for watching movies on my projector.

I was wondering if I could eliminate this PC by completely by running OpenELEC Kodi on my unraid.

My question is - Let's say I purchase a dedicated PCI-E video card with HDMI, connected to my receiver and install the VM. Would I get the same performance through my projector as I would from a local machine? In other words, no remote desktop / VNC lag but direct performance since I would be going Video card -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> Projector.

Would I be able to pass audio to my receiver through HDMI like I am doing now?

If I connect a wireless keyboard via USB to my Unraid will I be able to control Kodi with it?

thanks!

Hello

I am excited to see support for OpenELEC in this new update. I am running OpenELEC on multiple stand-alone machines in my house.

One of those is sitting literally right next to my Unraid server, connected to my A/V receiver via HDMI for watching movies on my projector.

I was wondering if I could eliminate this PC by completely by running OpenELEC Kodi on my unraid.

My question is - Let's say I purchase a dedicated PCI-E video card with HDMI, connected to my receiver and install the VM. Would I get the same performance through my projector as I would from a local machine? In other words, no remote desktop / VNC lag but direct performance since I would be going Video card -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI -> Projector.

Would I be able to pass audio to my receiver through HDMI like I am doing now?

If I connect a wireless keyboard via USB to my Unraid will I be able to control Kodi with it?

thanks!

What MB and CPU do you have for the unRAID server? This will determine if you are able to pass the GPU to the VM (and Keyboard/USB).

Jonp posted a blog post for gaming bare metal (separate machine) or in a VM and he achieved 98% of the performance of the separate machine, for gaming!

What MB and CPU do you have for the unRAID server? This will determine if you are able to pass the GPU to the VM (and Keyboard/USB).

Jonp posted a blog post for gaming bare metal (separate machine) or in a VM and he achieved 98% of the performance of the separate machine, for gaming!

The MB and CPU are taken from Lenovo TS140 server. It's a Xeon E3-1225 v3 CPU.

I am currently running Windows 8 VM and I connect to it on my regular PC via RDC. It works but if you do anything like youtube video it's jerky. I wanted to confirm that with direct connection out of my video card in Unraid there will be zero lag and it will behave as a regular local machine would.

thanks

Using the openelec VM should be the same experience as you have now.

The only thing you should note is that you need to be able to pass through the video card. You should read a little in the KVM forum.

I will definitely look at some more stuff. As long as my CPU/MB support HVM/IOMMU I should be good to go? Are there any requirements on the video card itself?

I am looking at possibly:

XFX AMD Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low-Profile PCI-Express Graphics Card HD545XZQH2;HD-545X-ZQH2

ASUS GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Ready Video Card, EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP)