Running unraid inside a virtual environment for testing purposes

Update: I've just returned from holidays today and have just finished building the MK IV version on the unRAID VM. I've configured the VM using the following setup (Subject to change, changes will be posted):

- System Configuration:

Memory: 512MB RAM

Processor(s): 1

Video Display: 5MB RAM (Mimimum RAM settign)

2D & 3D Accelerations: Disabled

- Storage Configuration:

IDE Primary Master: unRAID_IDE1.vdi (Normal, 40.00 GB)

IDE Secondary Master (CD/DVD): None

SATA Port 0: unRAID_SATADISK1.vdi (Normal, 250.00 GB)

SATA Port 1: unRAID_SATADISK2.vdi (Normal, 250.00 GB)

SATA Port 2: unRAID_SATADISK3.vdi (Normal, 250.00 GB)

- Audio: Disabled

- Network Adapter 1: Intel PRO/1000 T Server (Bridged Adapter)

- Serial Port(s): Disabled

- USB: Disabled

- Shared Folders: None

All disks have been configured using Dynamic state. The unRAID boot disk is a IDE-based vDisk, set to 40GB. It is quite large but with some feedback that I received, some would like to have a full Slackware OS , additional services and heaps of addon's installed too, hence limiting the boot disk to a small size like under 8GB would hamper this without resizing or recreating the boot disk.

The VM has three additional 250GB SATA-based vDisks, one as parity and two for data.

The unRAID OS of choice is v4.5.3. Bearing in mind it has had some issues with disks or the array not starting up correctly have been brought up on the forum, I will be doing thorough 'burn-in test' to insure that this VM functions according to how unRAID works.

I'll will prepare the VM and format the disks to give an indication on how long it will take to have this VM fully operational, but the VM will be delivered with the all parity and data disks in an unformatted state and no disks assigned to the array eithe. This will give new new starters to unRAID a actual 'hands on' approach on what the setup tasks that needs to be done when preparing a unRAID server.

I'll post an update on how the latest VM is running and will hopefully have this uploaded for all to use as soon as possible.

Final Update: I've finished creating the unRAID VM and have uploaded it. During my testing, all seemed to work well. The hardware and configuration of the VM have remained the same from my last post. The VM is in a Open Virtual Machine, meaning it 'should' be able to be imported back into other compatible VM applications, like VMware Workstation.

I've only exported and imported back into VirtualBox, so I'm not sure if it can import 100% successfully into other VM applications as I only really use VirtualBox and VMware ESXi. There are two files that need to be downloaded, 'Readme.txt' and the 'unRAID_VM_453.zip' file too. Following the Readme file if you're uncertain on how to import a VM appliance into VirtualBox. The link below is to the FTP site:

http://www.unraid.net/files

Many thanks to all who assisted me and a big thanks to Msan for providing the FTP store to host this. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

noticed there were two threads going on this so posting here too

Hello all I was playing with this the other day and noticed the dead links in this thread so I will help out.

I have the files dl'd from last year and put them in the cloud. Had no problems applying the latest update per the directions.

unRAID_VM_453.rar (readme is inside)

MD5:  4fd9d245806c3fbf425f2656ff41e4e1

SHA1:  07ca28a34177a71f049d563a36c7170091422740

http://www.mediafire.com/?7pbaqpd1st2rllq

or

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:7AE2E7341A0101B06BF76F4F22A7D1841A40EE71

(can take a bit to start just give it time)

oh and thanks unraided

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi everyone,

Old topic I know so you can blame me if I'm not in the right place...!

I use Solus Budgie on my laptop and I would like to test Unraid in Virtualbox before creating my server. As I'll be using it as a NAS and lots of docker services, I would like to test unraid before so the transition from my previous Synology to unraid will be as quick as possible.

Despite my research I didn't found any How to, dedicated to a beginner like me. I used Virtualbox already to run Windows / Ubuntu / other OS, but I can't run unraid "no bootable medium found" message for me...

Any hints ?

Thanks a lot

4 hours ago, guilhem31 said:

Old topic I know so you can blame me if I'm not in the right place

Virtualizing Unraid is not officially supported, but there is a subforum here where other users that are virtualizing Unraid sometimes can help each other. I think most are using ESXi. Here is a link to that subforum if you want to try over there:

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/46-virtualizing-unraid/

• Like 1