AFP Login issue

Hi there

I hope i am doing something wrong because i can't figure out why this is not working.

I recently purchesed a MacPRO so that I can study the OS and virtualization. I am trying also to see how AFP works with time machine and as a NetWork protocol. So here is what I have. If I open finder and click on the SMB share I can log in and do anything I want. I just need to Change the log in as to my user name and password. But if I try the same procedure for AFP the password field shakes and it won't let me in.

I did turn on afp and set the security to private and user i chose to read/write.

so do I have to restart the server? or is there another setting to make this work?  ???

This is my main server running 5.05.

Thank you

Thornwood

Note that AFP has been depreciated for file sharing but is still required for TM. I have had issues with version 5 and TM. After a time, the share becomes unavailable. I started using version 6 for TM about 3 weeks ago and haven't had a problem yet. If it works for 6 months I'll consider it stable. And, AFP will be updated in the next beta release.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you but I just can't get the permissions to work so the only way I can mount a drive is as guest. If I set as private use a username and password it fails. So I have to turn the share to public to be able to mount. 

I really don't like public shares for any reason. So I end up running time machine then locking down the share, unlocking running again and locking..... Over and over.

I tried using time machine over smb but it wants to fill whole array I don't need a 26tb backup.

I allowed simple password pass through and handshaking on the mac but no change so I just can't figure out why I can't log in to AFP as private or secure? The same username in smb work like a charm.

Really frustrating. Beta 9 same problem.