SMB shares not visible to DUNE or Windows 8

I'm trying to mount unRAID SMB shares on a DUNE (HD Base 3D) and also do some file admin between NASs via my Windows 8.1 laptop. I also have Linux Mint on another laptop. I'm having problems which I think are Samba/unRAID related.

Although I'm using v6beta I don't think this is a v6 problem so much as an SMB-config problem or a unRAID newbie problem. However, I have read all the online manuals, googled for answers to my problem, and tried umpteen fixes including running the 'new permissions' script which completed successfully, but I still can't see my unRAID shares, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Note that I have many years (although now very rusty) experience of IT in networking, UNIX, Linux & Windows. I'm new to unRAID but I've tinkered with several other NAS OSs (Flex, FreeNAS) and appliances - I have a Thecus and a WD MyBook on my network, which is pertinent as I CAN see these OK. I urgently need to build a monster NAS as a target to rip my entire DVD/BD collection. I'm currently doing a POC for this on a 2-3 drive DIY appliance(Gigabyte/Atom-based), with unRAID v6beta.

I can see and mount unRAID SMB shares on my Mint (13) laptop, irrespective of whatever WORKGROUP name SMB on unRAID is set to. For the avoidance of doubt, Workgroup is set to HOMEGROUP (all capitalised) on my test devices (DUNE, Thecus N7700Pro, Windows 8.1). DUNE 'sees' the unRAID server, but if I open the server icon in DUNE it sees the unRAID server as empty, whereas if I open the Thecus server in DUNE it shows all my SMB shares. Also, I can't see the unRAID server on my Windows 8.1 laptop - I can't even see it's server name in the 'Network' browser and nor can I map to it manually.

With regard to W8 this sounds like it will be due to the upgraded security/SMB compatibility I've read about but haven't yet found clear advice on how to fix. With regard to the DUNE (brand new with latest firmware), since it can see the Thecus (also latest firmware) it starts to point to the unRAID server config as being the problem.

I should say in passing that I have been experiencing a few quirky problems with my Sky (Sagem) router which was refusing to hand out the correct reserved address to the unRAID server, so ultimately I had to set it manually. I just mention this in case the router (DHCP/WINS) could be part of the problem I'm experiencing. Everything including the router has been rebooted several times to try and fix this problem.

Can someone also advise how to find out which device is acting as Samba Master, what relevance the unRAID SMB 'Local Master' setting has in this context, and if applicable, how to change the samba community master server.

I'm now completely stumped and would appreciate some pointers as I urgently need to setup another piece of kit that I will be using to stream to the share in question, but if I can't read from the same share with my DUNE, there's no point going any further with unRAID as a NAS-OS.

Thanks

------------------------------  oo00oo  ----------------------------------

UPDATE: In the absence of suggestions from other members, I've made some progress today with help from Nuno Vitorio of Liv Concepts, who was remotely installing one of their 'Spinner' media rippers onto my network. Nuno was able to answer several but not all of my issues with unRAID so hopefully this thread can remain open until someone knowledgeable can advise us all better what's going on here. The key outstanding issue for me is why SMB shares are not automatically appearing on devices which fully support Samba - Dune and W8.1 in my case.

So, to finding SMB shares on the DUNE, the fix is to select the 'Sources' menu (which will display 'Network Browser') but don't click this icon, instead, press the 'pop-up menu' button on the remote and select 'New Network Folder'. Fill in the server details (which is a huge pain with no keyboard - just the old school method of using the alphanumeric key pad on the remote) and with a bit of luck it will connect to the remote SMB.

With regard to seeing the unRAID server Windows 8.1, again, the 'Network' browser doesn't see the unRAID SMB shares, but if you overtype in the dialogue box where it says '> Network', with the IP address of the server in UNC format (\\<ip address>\) ... of the server that you're looking for ... (because it obviously isn't being discovered by it's name) then it brings up not just the server but a list of it's shares. Bingo. Apparently you can then drag this to 'Favourites' so you don't have to re-do this every time, but the server still never appears by name in the networks folder list of categories (Computer, Media Devices, Network Infrastructure, Other, etc).

I hope this helps someone else but can I ask if any developer members can at least take note of the difficulties experienced when trying to actually use the unRAID as a Samba server from other devices, and preferable provide some explanation/fix.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: In the absence of suggestions from other members, I've made some progress today with help from Nuno Vitorio of Liv Concepts, who was remotely installing one of their 'Spinner' media rippers onto my network. Nuno was able to answer several but not all of my issues with unRAID so hopefully this thread can remain open until someone knowledgeable can advise us all better what's going on here. The key outstanding issue for me is why SMB shares are not automatically appearing on devices which fully support Samba - Dune and W8.1 in my case.

So, to finding SMB shares on the DUNE, the fix is to select the 'Sources' menu (which will display 'Network Browser') but don't click this icon, instead, press the 'pop-up menu' button on the remote and select 'New Network Folder'. Fill in the server details (which is a huge pain with no keyboard - just the old school method of using the alphanumeric key pad on the remote) and with a bit of luck it will connect to the remote SMB.

With regard to seeing the unRAID server Windows 8.1, again, the 'Network' browser doesn't see the unRAID SMB shares, but if you overtype in the dialogue box where it says '> Network', with the IP address of the server in UNC format (\\<ip address>\) ... of the server that you're looking for ... (because it obviously isn't being discovered by it's name) then it brings up not just the server but a list of it's shares. Bingo. Apparently you can then drag this to 'Favourites' so you don't have to re-do this every time, but the server still never appears by name in the networks folder list of categories (Computer, Media Devices, Network Infrastructure, Other, etc).

I hope this helps someone else but can I ask if any developer members can at least take note of the difficulties experienced when trying to actually use the unRAID as a Samba server from other devices, and preferable provide some explanation/fix.

Thanks

That's correct.  That's what you've got to do for the Dune to see the SMB shares.  I used to have a Dune D1, but sold is two weeks ago.  Now, I'll be building an HTPC.