Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac + i5-4690k - Machine Check Errors

I just upgraded my server to run 6.0 but I'm getting MACHINE CHECK ERROR right after the UEFI boot screen.  After multiple power cycles unRAID booted up and appears to be working okay.  However, if I reboot the machine I will get the error again and will have to keep rebooting until it boots.  Any ideas?  Is the Asrock UEFI not playing well with syslinux?

Specs:

Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac

Intel i5-4690k (vt-d supported but disabled in UEFI)

2x4GB DDR3-1600 Crucial Ballistix

• 2 months later...

All,

I have a possible solution for this bug that I'd like some folks to test out when they can.  This isn't guaranteed to fix the issue at this point, but it's safe to perform and if it doesn't work, simply recopy your old syslinux folder back.  I have tested this on my equipment and it resolved the issue.

First and foremost, please make a complete backup of your USB flash device before performing this work.

Steps to Perform

1)  Shutdown your unRAID server completely.

2)  Unplug your USB flash device from your server and plug it into a Windows-based computer.

3)  Download this zip file and extract it to the syslinux folder on your USB flash device, overwriting the files that are there.

4)  Run make_bootable from the USB flash device root folder (make sure to Run as Administrator)

NOTE:  This will NOT work from a Mac at this time.

5)  Unplug the USB flash device from your computer and plug it back into your server and boot.

6)  After booted up, stop the array and reboot to ensure that the machine reboots correctly and that machine check errors are not displayed.

7)  Coffee break!

Here's the link to download the .zip file to extract to your syslinux folder on your USB flash device:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dnld.lime-technology.com/temp/fix.zip

Please try this and let us know your results!!

EDIT:  Wanted to provide some insight on this as well.  The oddity of this bug is that it doesn't affect v5 which uses the same syslinux as we have in beta 10a.  We have determined that this looks to be the clear case of a buggy BIOS from ASRock.  Other mobos may be affected as well, but it seems to be an "odd man out" scenario and not something that many users are facing.

• 4 months later...

Back when I started this topic, the error seemed to have cleared itself after a BIOS flash.  After many months of flawless operation I got a random reboot and got stuck in this "machine check error" loop again.  I applied the fix as instructed by jonp and I'm back in business.  Thanks jonp!

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this thread, I am having random "Machine Check Error" failures on reboot also.

Removing and reinserting power resolves the issue but its a pain in the ass to go to my server to do it.

I have an Asrock Z77 Pro4 latest BIOS P1.80.

I will try this fix and let you know....

Hmm, I cannot download the zip:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>FC9BA69E1A702CBC</RequestId>
<HostId>
LY1lS5y/jUZNeSUOC5irEPusLMc3YuavR2fTk2V2LsDrNzY3AF/1UVvoMOpyqW/BWy6wKA53ZNc=
</HostId>
</Error>

Can another copy be posted please?

Hmm, I cannot download the zip:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>FC9BA69E1A702CBC</RequestId>
<HostId>
LY1lS5y/jUZNeSUOC5irEPusLMc3YuavR2fTk2V2LsDrNzY3AF/1UVvoMOpyqW/BWy6wKA53ZNc=
</HostId>
</Error>

Can another copy be posted please?

fix.zip

• 3 weeks later...