[Feature Request] - Tablet/Phone Friendly WebGUI

CHBMB

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, but I was just thinking.

Over the last few years the way we use technology has changed dramatically.  My desktop use has plummeted due to tablet and mobile phone use for instance, enabling me to stop my wife from thinking I've abandoned her on the sofa whilst I'm holed up in my office.  Instead I can happily sit on the sofa and remote desktop into my Windows machine or telnet into my Unraid box whilst making the occasional noise to signify vague interest in whatever meaningless detritus we happen to have on the TV.

I was just browsing my EBook library on my phone and deciding what to read next and email to my kindle when I had the thought that the webpage I was accessing was really easy to use on my phone and made browsing simple and clear.

Next logical conclusion for me was that Unraid isn't quite so easy, requiring pinching and scrolling around the UI to accomplish anything.

I'm not a web developer so I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to implement but I do think that it'd be a good feature and selling point to have a NAS that was manageable from your phone.

I know there have been a few experiments with the WebUI over the years and it has come on in leaps and bounds since 4.7, but couldn't find one tailored to mobile use.

There appears to be an app for iOS users but I can't test that as I ditched all my Apple stuff for Android a couple of years ago and I'm not necessarily thinking about an app, more just a webui that is suitable for mobile phone & tablet use.

Thoughts?

I understand if it's a far bigger project than I realise and it's hardly a eureka idea so I'm almost certain it's been discussed before and hasn't happened for good reason but I couldn't find a thread on it but then again I'm tapping this out on my phone...

• Upvote 1

Its a valid question and one which I think LT need to start looking at.  There are many responsive frameworks out there that make it easier to create html that can function on many different sized screens and input methods easily.  That needs to be the next big thing I reckon, sooner rather than later.

• 1 year later...

I can't believe this hasn't gotten more votes. I frequently need to check things on mobile and would really like a mobile friendly management page. I think a mobile app is overkill and a lot harder to do, just a responsive interface would help.

P.S. Same for the forums

ContrlR works well for my needs and tapatalk sorts the forums for me.  But yeah, I still think the original feature request is valid.

I can't believe this hasn't gotten more votes. I frequently need to check things on mobile and would really like a mobile friendly management page. I think a mobile app is overkill and a lot harder to do, just a responsive interface would help.

P.S. Same for the forums

ContrlR works well for my needs and tapatalk sorts the forums for me.  But yeah, I still think the original feature request is valid.

a massive +1 for this from me, on the topic of a responsive interface, tom posted a couple of months ago saying they are looking into switching to nginx as the web server tech, this would make a VERY big improvement in the whole responsiveness of the unraid webui, not to mention hopefully once and for all killing the issue where the ui can lock up and become unresponsive due to a crapped out process/thread, im hoping he keeps to his word :-).

edit - and whilst we are talking about tablets/smart phones why not also include the alternative to redesigning the web ui (which is a big deal), and instead create a native apple/android app that can talk via api to unraid?, yes its still a lot of work to create an api, but it would be less work than a whole new ui redesign no?.

edit2 - oo didnt know about ContrlR, might have to play with that :-), still im sure it would be easier on the dev if unraid had an api that apps could hook into eh?.