Motherboard suggestions - AOC-SASLP-MV8 compatible

Can anyone recommend a newish board that will support a AOC-SASLP-MV8 with as little grief as possible.

This will be the third box I have built. Years ago my ABIT AB9 died and was replaced with an ASUS board, this board has served me well until tradesman tripped the electricity in my house which coincidentally is when my current box died.

I have no issues using a GPU but if the motherboard has onboard video I would prefer DVI or HDMI (as I don't have any VGA monitors anymore).

I've tried looking through the compatibility list but it doesn't really state compatibility with the AOC-SASLP-MV8 (unless you go with the Limetech used boards which have ECC and are super expensive). I have no issues buying a new CPU and RAM also, I just want simplicity to get my fileserver up and running again.

Thanks in advance :)

What's your current CPU?

How many disks do you currently have?

Would you like to have room for more in the future?

Until today I've only used UnRAID with old MOBOs (I also use this very same card for 8 of disks), all of them worked fine (the only failure was the one that wasn't able to boot from USB)

Assuming you have less than 8 disks and a sigle PCIe card any cheap mainboard with a 1 PCIe slot should do the job. Look for the cheapest that supports your CPU in Newegg ;) if you can't find any buy a new cheap CPU + RAM and you will be fine.

Any board with a PCIe x4 or larger slot should work fine.    If there's only a single x16 slot, you'll clearly want to have onboard or on-chip video, so you can use the slot for the SASLP-MV8.

As for specific suggestions ... depends a lot on how many SATA ports you need in total and what form factor you need.

For a micro-ATX board, I like this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131990  (Be sure you buy a CPU with on-chip video)

For a full-size ATX board, this is a good one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132046

Both boards have multiple PCIe x16 slots, so even if you wanted to use a dedicated video card you'd still have a slot for the SASLP-MV8.  But as long as you buy a CPU with on-chip video (MOST of the Haswell chips have this, but not all) you won't need a dedicated card.

Hi garycase,

I ended up going with the H97M-PLUS. Everything is perfect except LAN doesn't work..

eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

It uses the 8111G chipset which other users have experienced no issues with. What do you think my next step should be?

EDIT: PCI Gigabit Intel NIC should fix this issue? Can you recommend any known working ones?

I presume you mean the H87M-Plus ... the H97M-Plus uses a newer Intel chipset.

The Realtek chipset should indeed work fine ... you most likely only need to change the BIOS options for UnRAID to work with that board.  Be sure the network adapter is enabled, and try using the legacy mode BIOS settings.

Lack of sleep has caught up on me.. I am indeed using the newer H97M-PLUS with the Intel I218V LAN.

However, it seems to work fine with the latest Beta. I have still ordered a PCI card to revert back to stable in a few weeks time (I fly out to the oil rigs in a few days time so the box will mostly be off until my return).

At least their is hope for the new chipset if it is supported in the Beta.

Thanks once again!

Yes, the newest Intel adapter will almost certainly be supported in all subsequent versions.  Intel NICs are top-of-the-line adapters, and are almost always rock-solid in UnRAID (and all other OS's for that matter).    It can, of course, take a bit of time for the newest adapters to be supported ... that's why you had an issue, but as you noted, it's already resolved.

Never hurts to have a spare adapter ... and it does let you use this board with the current "stable" release without the need to manually install the driver for the Intel adapter.    But clearly when you move to v6 final (when it's released) you won't need to use the add-in adapter any more.