[SOLVED] My first UNRAID server, no network

I have just completed my first unraid server and after getting it to run once and managing to get into the web GUI I had to shut it down. Ever since I am trying to get it to run again but after booting successfully I don't get any network. When looking up ifconfig eth0 it doesn't show an IP address just returns this:

Link encap :Ethernet HWaddr 00:1b:21:bb:32:8c

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Also I am not able to use shutdown -h now

this used to work before.

As I said before I managed to have an IP once but had to shutdown and since then no luck getting it to work.

I am very new to this and would appreciate any help I can get. What other information should I provide to get some help?

When I first managed to get an IP address I was using the onboard LAN, still using the onboard LAN it stopped working. As I know that there are issues with Realtek 8111E chipsets I added an Intel PCI network controller now and disabled the onboard LAN, but I still have the same problem.

Cable is known to work and I get two green lights at the back of the LAN card. I am running 4.7 btw.

Thanks in advance if you can get me on the right track to solve this.

UPDATE: I'll link to the syslog here in the first post so you don't have to look for it further down. Sorry, couldn't capture it in another way than screenshots http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3114797/1/Unraid?h=28c8a8#

The problem seems to be that the USB (that works on two other machines, tried different USB as well) is not properly mounted and thus the system not able to see the network config file.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9880.0

Using shutdown is not a safe way to reboot. Three safe ways to power down:

There are no other safe ways to power down!

Mod edit: fixed the broken URL above.

- Raj

If you don't have any important data then I would suggest the following, essentially starting from scratch:

• Disconnect all drives
  • Full format your flash drive
  • Re-download & re-make your flash drive
  • Check unRAID boots OK
  • Reboot properly using the WebUI
  • Check unRAID still boots OK
  • Clean shut-down & connect drives
  • Re-assign, re-clear drives

If you are still having issues post a SYSLOG as you may have a hardware problem.

I did all this just now again, still no network so no way to try to shut down properly using webUI.

My flash is booting OK (tried on two machines). In the boot log I noticed that towards the end it says:

Triggering udev events: /sbin/udevadm trigger  --type=failed

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet.conf: line 18 /boot/config/network.cfg: No such file or directory

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet.conf: line 19 /var/tmp/network.cfg: No such file or directory

I checked and the /config/network.cfg file is definitely present on my flash.

Might sound like a stupid suggestion but did you try booting your USB key off a different USB port? Yesterday I changed ports on my UnRaid machine and everything seemed normal at first but I kept having weird behavior with udevadm until I moved the key back to were it was before.

Also, do you use DHCP or a static IP? If it is static, you can try and force it like so:

ifconfig eth0 down

ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx up

Depending on your network this might give you an IP. It seems that the real problem is what you found in your logs, it can't read the network.cfg file. Like I said, it might be worth changing USB ports and giving it a try.

Yes, I tried off different USB ports.

I use DHCP.

I have now redone the USB drive another time and will try again tonight. Found some posts talking about the USB drive not getting properly mounted even though unraid boots and thus not being able to read network.cfg... will look into that tonight and see if I can get this thing running.

Try booting with a static IP.  Connect your unRAID flash drive to another computer, navigate into the 'config' folder, and edit the network.cfg file with a text editor.  Change it so that it looks like this:

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP=no

IPADDR=192.168.0.100

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

GATEWAY=192.168.0.254

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV=

DNS_SERVER1=192.168.0.254

DNS_SERVER2=

DNS_SERVER3=

The Gateway and DNS_Server1 should the the IP address of your router.  Note the bold digits above, they all have to match (can be 0 or 1).  The last three digits of the IP address can be anything you like, but it is helpful to make it something that is easy to remember, like 100 in the example above.

Save changes and safely eject the flash drive.  Try booting from it and type 'ifconfig' again to see if you see the IP address you set.  If you do, you can then try to access the server's web GUI by typing in the server's IP address into a web browser.

Try booting with a static IP.  Connect your unRAID flash drive to another computer, navigate into the 'config' folder, and edit the network.cfg file with a text editor.  Change it so that it looks like this:

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP=no

IPADDR=192.168.0.100

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

GATEWAY=192.168.0.254

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV=

DNS_SERVER1=192.168.0.254

DNS_SERVER2=

DNS_SERVER3=

The Gateway and DNS_Server1 should the the IP address of your router.  Note the bold digits above, they all have to match (can be 0 or 1).  The last three digits of the IP address can be anything you like, but it is helpful to make it something that is easy to remember, like 100 in the example above.

Save changes and safely eject the flash drive.  Try booting from it and type 'ifconfig' again to see if you see the IP address you set.  If you do, you can then try to access the server's web GUI by typing in the server's IP address into a web browser.

Just tried this, no success. Problem is that the system doesn't even seem to be able to see network.cfg and I just tried with a second USB drive as well and get the same problems. Booting without problem but no network.

I can't even manage to run a syslog anymore, this is what my screen looks like: http://db.tt/DNkOymN4

For now I don't have any idea on what I could still try. Both USB drives I have work and boot into unraid when I prepare the flash under Windows. Tried preparing the flash from my MAC as well, but in that case it didn't work.

Just for grins and giggles try following the instructions here if using windows, or hereif using a Mac.

I used to follow these http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation instructions. When following Windows 7 instructions I get a bootable drive, when following OSX instructions it doesn't work.

I tried the instructions from your links: OSX still no luck, doesn't boot Unraid. Windows instructions: boots ok, still no network.

So to resume: I am sure my hardware works as I managed to get everything to work once with network but then after rebooting I lost network.

Also my USB drive works. I can boot into Unraid on my server and on another PC as well (on the other PC I can see an IP address, network works).

The only problem seems to be that the USB drive is not mounted or doesn't stay mounted, so the system can't see the files it needs.

I am pretty much out of ideas on what to do. Probably I will try resetting everything in my BIOS a second time and start from scratch.

But please, if you can think of anything that I might have overlooked... any help is greatly appreciated.

Try limiting the motherboard to USB 1.1 speeds and see what happens.

I am pretty sure those instructions for OS X work... I use/used them to create a lot of unRAID sub drives.

Also try using the flash drive on another machine and see if it works.

I have tried the OS X instructions about 3 times and they never worked for me, whenever I boot it doesn't find the Unraid OS. Using the unetbootin method on Windows works as do the instructions for Windows in the Unraid wiki.

I will try USB 1.1 speeds, it must have something to do with BIOS settings as it worked once as I described in my last post above.

Try your syslog again, I noticed you did a typo when you tried to put a tail on it, I think you typed lg instead of log in the path.

The log should show some information about why the USB drive isn't being mounted.

It seems your BIOS has no trouble booting from the USB drive but then the linux kernel can't mount it or something. To be sure if it's mounted or not do:

mount -l

And get that syslog :)

If anybody could help from the syslog I have taken screenshots and posted them here: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3114797/1/Unraid?h=28c8a8

I have no idea what to look for but some lines look like there might be some problems.

syslog3.jpg has some message about BIOS may corrupt low RAM?

syslog4.jpg has a WARNING: BIOS BUG ?

syslog21.jpg has something with usbcore

syslog28-32.jpg is where all the USB stuff seems to be, but no idea what to look for.

Sorry for the screenshots but I have no idea on how to otherwise capture the syslog if the USB isn't even mounted. Thanks for all your help!

one thing i saw go past in your syslog...

It looks like you are running a BIOSTAR A75MH FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) with a funky Realtek 8111E NIC.. those are problematic in unraid..

Have you tried installing 5beta13 to your second flash drive and booting with that to see if the NIC loads?

As per OP:

When I first managed to get an IP address I was using the onboard LAN, still using the onboard LAN it stopped working. As I know that there are issues with Realtek 8111E chipsets I added an Intel PCI network controller now and disabled the onboard LAN, but I still have the same problem.

Cable is known to work and I get two green lights at the back of the LAN card. I am running 4.7 btw.

Thanks in advance if you can get me on the right track to solve this.

He does/did have another adapter. The A75 chipset is still very new and although I have tested this working on a Gigabyte motherboard using the onboard LAN - both 4.7 & 5b13 (GA-A75M-D2H) it may not necessarily be fully compatible with unRAID as of yet. As Johnm suggested, try 5b13 and failing that I would try another flash drive in that PC, even though you have tested that flash drive in other PC's. Could be a compatibility issue, some hardware just doesn't like other hardware.. for whatever reason.

Have you tried both the USB2 & USB3 ports? These are going to be on different controllers, where as each of the USB2 ports share a controller.

Failing that it could just be that the motherboard you are trying to use isn't unRAID compatible, although if you have another one of these boards "lying around" you could prove that theory wrong. Hopefully this isn't the case though.