Price trends for 4TB+ NAS drives

Smitty2k1

I don't ever recall seeing a 4TB Red for anything close to $100.    That's the price the 3TB's were often on sale for ... but not the 4TB's.

By historical standards, storage is CHEAP these days -- available for $30/TB or less with the lower end consumer drives; and $35-40/TB for the NAS quality drives.    I'd just buy what you need and not get overly focused on a few $$ difference in cost.

I'm seeing the 5TB for $99 (WD external), the downward price cycle continues.

As the article points out, the demand for HDDs is in decline. Thus it makes sense to reduce the assets assigned to assembling HDDs.

Hopefully, HDDs will be completely out of non-servers shortly. Then HDDs can seriously take up server requirements. The above 5tb is a good example, it will just go away. 4TB drives are extremely popular, hence less flexible pricing. 5TB is not really a common size outside consumers. 6TB and 8TB battle for some middle ground, a weak space. And 10TB currently owns the capacity storage frontline. 12TB is take that spot in expect late 2017. (And yes, the 1TB/2TB/3TB just go away too).

All of this is in regard to 3.5 inch HDDs.

• 1 month later...