Need advise for small Unraid server

pcgirl

I currently have my HTPC holding all my media files and networked across my home.  I want to turn it into a Unraid server and have 2 or 3 drives in it.  I would like to know if this motherboard and CPU will work to be an efficient server to stream all my media to two or 3 media devices and to also backup my important docs on my personal computer.  I have a Gigabyte A55M-DS2 motherboard and a AMD A6-3500 CPU.  I have 8GB of RAM.  Not sure what type it is at the moment.  I have a 1TB 7200RPM drive right now and I want to get two more WD RED drives 3TB.  I will use the 1TB for the parity drive.  So my question is will this do the job and also I would like to make it quiet so what recommendations for a good and quiet power supply?  Thanks for your help in advance.  I will also be running XBMC on a SQL server so as to have everything in sync and possibly the Plex server.

I have an A6-3500 on one of my servers, and it has no problems streaming to 2 XBMC boxes and transcoding to a tablet via Plex at the same time.  I've never tested it streaming to more than 2 XBMC's concurrently, but I don't think that there would be any problems.  Multiple streams via Plex might be an issue however since it isn't the fastest processor out there.

My SQL server I have running on the same system via Docker, and Plex is running as an add-on.

Note that you won't be able to use the 1TB as your parity drive if you get 3TB data drives.  The parity drive must always be the same size or larger than the biggest data drive.  Use one of the 3TB's as parity, and the 1TB as a data drive.

Can't help you with keeping things quiet, as all of my servers are in a separate room where noise is not an issue.

I have a 1TB 7200RPM drive right now and I want to get two more WD RED drives 3TB.  I will use the 1TB for the parity drive.

- That won't work. The parity drive must be at least as large as the largest data drive.

So my question is will this do the job[...] Thanks for your help in advance.  I will also be running XBMC on a SQL server so as to have everything in sync and possibly the Plex server.

- Horsepower-wise, that will do the job. I've never really used XMBC, so I can't comment on that. If you plan on using plex, you'll only be able to support a single 1080p transcoded stream. If you're streaming to a PC (using Plex Home Theater), that won't be an issue. If you're streaming to a Chromecast or other device, you won't be able to do simultaneous streams. YMMV, but Plex suggests a PassMark score of 2000/stream. Your processor's score is 2017.

I would like to make it quiet so what recommendations for a good and quiet power supply?

I'm sure someone else will chime in with a better, cheaper option, but I used the SeaSonic SS-460FL2 in the build I just completed. They make a 400w version, which would probably be better for you. It's modular, passively cooled, and 80Plus PLATINUM Certified.

If you're streaming to a Chromecast or other device, you won't be able to do simultaneous streams. YMMV, but Plex suggests a PassMark score of 2000/stream. Your processor's score is 2017.

This is very interesting!  So really, if I expect to stream to 2 or 3 devices at once, I would need a CPU with a passmark of 4000 or 6000, right?  Looking at the CPU passmarks, an Intel i5-4460 would be good and I am looking at the ASRock H97M Pro4 motherboard.  Would this be a better fit.  I don't want to build this and then discover that it can't support the streaming that I want it for.

Yes, you absolutely want something with a much higher PassMark score than what you have now.  An i5-4460 would be a much better choice, or for a few $ more you could use an i5-4690, which scores 7676 on PassMark, and would easily handle 3 streams with a fair amount of "headroom" for additional workload.

If you want to be CERTAIN you don't run out of CPU "horsepower", just spring for an i7-4771 ... scores over 10,000 on PassMark  :)

This is very interesting!  So really, if I expect to stream to 2 or 3 devices at once, I would need a CPU with a passmark of 4000 or 6000, right?  Looking at the CPU passmarks, an Intel i5-4460 would be good and I am looking at the ASRock H97M Pro4 motherboard.  Would this be a better fit.  I don't want to build this and then discover that it can't support the streaming that I want it for.

I'd definitely leave some headroom. Like garycase said, I'd opt for the i5-4690 (or the S edition for a lower TDP) since it's only an extra couple bucks.

As for the motherboard, I used the Z97H version of that one (the H97M was out of stock) for my build. Be aware, you will have to use unRAID6, which is currently in beta. Network connectivity will not work in unRAID5. I don't know if you'll run into the same problem, but I had to turn secure boot on and then back off to get it to boot.

Thanks for the advice.  Why will the network connectivity not work on the unRAID5?

unraid v5 uses an older linux under lying system which does not have the correct drivers for the LAN chip used on most '97' boards.

Check out my small build thread (link in my signature). This board has been a pleasure to work with!

Thanks Mr. Hexen!  I found your build very interesting.  I see you are also from Canada, like me!  I am going to look at the Lian-Li PC-Q25B case as I was also looking at the Fractal R4 case.  I will also look at the motherboard you used.  I notice that the case says hot-swap drive enclosures....would I need to get some sort of connector to put on the hard drives so that they will pop out easy?

The PC-Q25B is a superb choice for mini-ITX based builds => you can easily have up to 30TB of capacity in this using 6TB drives.

The drives "pop out" very easily ... there's a small plastic rail you mount on them (these come with the case).  It has 5 of the hot-swap positions; and can hold 2 additional 3.5" drives on the bottom plate (plus a 2.5" drive).

The cooling is superb, and it's a very nice looking unit as well.  I've written quite a bit about builds using this case, and answered a lot of questions from others in this thread:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29670.0

I used all stock fans and my Q25 is quiet but its also in a media closet so to speak so noise isn't an issue for me.

I used the cheap stuff from a known player. HyperX and other marketing hype is aimed at gamers to get 0.5 extra FPS from a $2500 machine. In a server, not worth it in my opinion.

I'm running only 2GB of ram on vanilla unRAID (no PLEX, CouchPotato, etc.) and its just fine.

The Q25B is VERY quiet.  Mine sits just a few feet from me and I can't tell if it's on or off without looking.

As for memory -- as noted above, you don't need high-performance memory.  For reliability, I'd use standard RAM from a quality manufacturer (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair) ... and be sure it's standard 1.5v modules.