(solved) Problems preclear

I am running version 5.0.5 basic

I have 2tb parity and 2x 1tb data drives all seagate.

I have just got my self a 2tb WD20EZRX Caviar Green. following the tutorial http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Preclearing_With_Screenfor Preclearing With Screen.

I am trying to preclear with the array running.

When I type preclear_disk.sh -l into putty I cant see my new drive.

I can see it via the brower and unmenu under Drive Partitions - Not In Protected Array.

Have I missed anything?

It looks like you already have assigned the disc to parity. Is the parity disc new. If so then you should preclear it. If no then just start the array and let the parity build. But by the looks of your images it is building the parity so let it finish in the 382 minutes it says it will take.

And all three discs are mounted, they are just not in a protected array because the parity hasn't finished building.

Now the parity build is finished.

The parity drive is old.

The new drive is the WDC_WD20EZRX-00D8PB0_WD-WCC4M2306926 (sdb) 1953514584 and still wont preclear.

Do I need a plus key to preclear?

You do not need a key file to preclear.

Can you post a screenshot of your telnet session where you try to preclear and it fails? Something is getting lost in translation.

Assuming you haven't rebooted, because /dev/sd? assignments can change from boot to boot, you should be typing something like ./preclear_disk.sh /dev/sdb and typing Yes when asked to proceed. The Yes must have the capital Y.

I see which drive it is now Zacburgess. Johnathanm he hasn't even got that far, he's trying to get a list of drives he can preclear but it's showing no drives available, but it looks like you have 2 drives SDB, SDE and SDE1 not as part of the array, strange it shows your external USB drive twice once as SDE and then again as SDE1. And your Flash shows as sdd1 where as mine shows as sda without the number. Maybe its something to do with unmenu. I use Dynamix so I don't know. See if Johnathanm can help more.

he hasn't even got that far, he's trying to get a list of drives he can preclear but it's showing no drives available
The list function is overly protective, so as not to accidentally nuke a drive by mistake. I want to see the result of actually trying to preclear the drive, which he says fails. As long as you have the serial number and current sd? designation for the drive you wish to clear, and list function is unnecessary.

I still think the failure is in communication, not the actual procedure.

The parity drive is old.

The new drive is the WDC_WD20EZRX-00D8PB0_WD-WCC4M2306926 (sdb) 1953514584 and still wont preclear.

Can you post a screenshot of your telnet session where you try to preclear and it fails? Something is getting lost in translation.

Assuming you haven't rebooted, because /dev/sd? assignments can change from boot to boot, you should be typing something like ./preclear_disk.sh /dev/sdb and typing Yes when asked to proceed. The Yes must have the capital Y.

Here is my screen shot

New_Bitmap_Image.gif.ea627fa4592f02ba176d5b148e375c77.gif

The parity drive is old.

Here is my screen shot

Nothing has changed

If I stop the array. I have change the parity drive to my new drive, but I dont want to click it in-case its messes up.

New_Bitmap_Image_2.jpg.10c0135ca6ba051bceb7b3fc447a45de.jpg

Ok, I see now that the preclear script is really convinced that /dev/sdb is part of the array, is it possible that you assigned it to the array and then took it back out? The preclear script looks in a few places to see whether a disk is already assigned, and it looks like the drive is in one or more of those lists.

Ok, I see now that the preclear script is really convinced that /dev/sdb is part of the array, is it possible that you assigned it to the array and then took it back out? The preclear script looks in a few places to see whether a disk is already assigned, and it looks like the drive is in one or more of those lists.

No its a new a drive. I have 3drives now n only basic key so can't assigned more than 3 drives.

So did you get this sorted Zacburgess? If somehow the sub drive had at one time been assigned to the array then it would not allow a preclear. Setting a new config should remove this flag from the sdb drive.

Yeah all looking.

I did

New config

Set my drives back to what they were

Did a parity check

Uploaded the plus key

rebooted sever

and now I am 8 into my perclear

So far so good thanks for all the help.

One last thing.

How do I add my new drive to the array? I am now using Dynamix.

Preclear a drive. Stop the array, select the new drive locationd and start the array. It will want to format the new disk and as it's been a while since I've done it I can't remember if it's before or after you start the array. If you don't preclear the disk the array will be offline for many hours while it writes zeros to the new drive. Check the wiki for more info.