Brother HL-L2300D Printer and CUPS

OK figured it out but it doesn't have my printer, CUPS needs to be updated

Just did that. Please note that if you use CloudPrint you need to readopt your printers by accessing the URL presented in the container log.

If possible, please wait until CA updates the template or use the updated directly from my repository: https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/templates.

For unsupported Brother printers like yours, you'll need do add the driver to the container config directory, following these steps:

1) Go tohttp://support.brother.com/g/b/countrytop.aspx?c=us〈=en ;

2) Search for your model number using the search input;

bs4SzQy.png

3) In the Downloads menu, you need to select Linux in Select OS Family, and then select Linux(deb) in Select OS Version. Then hit Search;

COuEHOx.png

4) In then next page, you need to download the CUPSwrapper printer driver (deb package).

LnHMPpz.png

5) After Accepting the EULA and downloading the file (in this case, hll2300dcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb), you have to create the "brother" folder inside your container config directory (example: /mnt/cache/appdata/CUPS/brother) and put the .deb file in there (ex: /mnt/cache/appdata/CUPS/brother/hll2300dcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb).

6) Restart your container.

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I also have the HL-L2300D printer and would like to use CUPS to share the printer.  I followed gfjardim's steps, but I do not know what to do next.  Do I need to point a config file to the correct file location of the .deb driver.  If I unpack the .deb file I find a .ppd file and I direct CUP's to this file in the 'Add Printer' dialog, but all i get are errors in the error log when I attempt to print test pages.

Thanks for everything.

• 5 months later...

I am clearly a newb....So I have CUPS loaded and am able to install my USB printer.  I chose to share printer.

Now,  I am trying to add the printer to my laptop using this link:  https://zedt.eu/tech/windows/installing-an-ipp-printer-in-windows-10/ but am not sure what the printer name should be.  I have tried http://IP address:631 and when it prompts me to login when I hit browse, I can enter the CUPS ID and password but it does NOT show any printers listed.  What is the "share name" of the printer?  I have a queue name but its pretty large and when sharing the printer I don't see how to choose a more friendly share name.

I also need to setup google cloud print, but am thinking first things first...

Anyone able to give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance

Al

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

I know this is a very old thread but I wanted to share how I successfully installed and utilized the brother HL-2300D USB printer with cups in the unraid docker. I downloaded the package installer for Debian Linux, the one that is zipped into a .gz file, from Brother's downloads page. This installer also has instructions for installation. I put the gz file into the config directory of the docker, went into the docker terminal, and installed the printer following the instructions provided by brother. Then I went into cups, selected add printer, and there it was. Now in the drop down for drivers there was one for the HL-2300D, so I selected that. Works like a charm! It's a good thing too because I bought the printer thinking it was a wireless printer. Now it is! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...