Plex transcode path

squirrellydw

I found this and have a questions.

Why does my docker.img file keep filling up while using Plex?

April 2016: recent versions of Plex (0.9.16.3, maybe earlier) transcode to the config directory by default, so there is no need to make the changes described below.  If you have already configured your plex with a custom transcode directory that is fine, it will not hurt anything.

Regardless of which Plex Docker you choose, you'll want to configure it to transcode outside of your main docker image. This will help prevent your docker image from filling up.

Step 1: On the unRAID Docker settings page for Plex, add a new Volume Mapping (Read/Write). The "Container volume" should be set to "/transcode", for the "Host path"...

Option 1: A good default host path would be in the appdata folder on your cache drive, i.e. if your /config directory is set to:

/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex/

then the /transcode directory could be:

/mnt/cache/appdata/Plex/transcode/

Option 2: If you have a lot of RAM you can save wear and tear on your cache drive by transcoding in RAM. In that case, set the /transcode host path to:

/tmp

Note: Since about Plex version 0.9.14, transcoding to RAM does not work.  Recommend avoiding this option.

Step 2: Save your changes to restart Plex, then from within Plex go to Settings -> Server -> Transcoder. Hit the "Show Advanced" button, and in the "Transcoder temporary directory" field put "/transcode" and then "Save Changes".

Config Type - "Path"

Name - Anything?

Container Path - /transcode

Host Path - /transcode

Access Mode - Read/Write

Is that correct?

The information that you have quoted makes sense to me.

However, I don't think what you have will work. See below.

Config Type - "Path"

Name - Anything?

Container Path - /transcode

Host Path - /mnt/appdata/plexmediaserver/transcode

Access Mode - Read/Write

The "Host Path" needs to be an actual location in your server file structure. As you can see in the example above, I have mapped the /transcode path of the docker to /mnt/appdata/plexmediaserver/transcode on my cache drive.

Once this is completed, you will have to go into the plex server settings and update it with the transcode path. This can be found in Settings --> Server --> Transcode --> Transcode Temporary Directory. Put here whatever you have listed for Container Path, which in this case is /transcode.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I think the easiest way to do this and to make sure it works is:

1) Login using SSH to your Unraid server > ssh root@unraid(IP)

2) mkdir /ramdisk

3) mount -t tmpfs -o size=1024m tmpfs /mnt/ramdisk

4) This will create a 1G /ramdisk

5) Set Plex set to container (/transcode) host (/ramdisk)

6) Change Plex settings to /transcode

7) Be happy .. you can actually go inside the folder too: cd /ramdisk, start a movie and do a couple of ls or df -h and you will see that being used.

Enjoy!

-Marco

• Like 1