unRAID Virtual Machine availible for download

I've just finished creating a Virtual Machine built using Sun's VirtualBox (now known as Oracle VirtualBox) virtual machine application (I used Sun VirtualBox v3.1.6). Refer the the original thread on where this all started:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5997.msg60783#msg60783

Virtual Machine Specifications and Configuration:

- System Configuration:

OS Version: unRAID 4.5.3 Basic Edition

Memory: 512MB RAM

Processor(s): 1

Video Display: 5MB RAM

2D & 3D Accelerations: Disabled

- Storage Configuration:

IDE Primary Master: unRAID_IDE1.vdi (Normal, 40.00 GB)

IDE Secondary Master (CD/DVD): None

SATA Port 0: unRAID_SATADISK1.vdi (Normal, 250.00 GB)

SATA Port 1: unRAID_SATADISK2.vdi (Normal, 250.00 GB)

SATA Port 2: unRAID_SATADISK3.vdi (Normal, 250.00 GB)

- Audio: Disabled

- Network Adapter 1: Intel PRO/1000 T Server (Bridged Adapter)

- Serial Port(s): Disabled

- USB: Disabled

- Shared Folders: None

How to get Oracle (Sun) VirtualBox:

http://dlc.sun.com/virtualbox/vboxdownload.html

To download the Virtual Machine:

http://www.unraid.net/files

The files to download are 'unRAID_VM_453.zip' and 'Readme.txt' files.

Host machine requirements to use this VM:

- CPU: Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz or higher CPU (Intel Core Duo or AMD Athlon II or higher is recommended).

- RAM: At least 1GB RAM (2GB RAM or higher recommended).

- OS: Basically any OS which is able to use VirtualBox (Was tested on a Windows 7 Host OS).

- Network: Basic LAN connection, set using a Bridged Configuration is the best way to go to interface this VM to your network (1Gbps NIC highly recommended).

Importing the VM guest into VirtualBox:

To import the VM guest into VirtualBox, please follow the instructions below (Instructions should be universal for all VirtualBox applications across all Host OS's):

1). Click on File > Import Appliance...

2). Select the 'Choose...' button

3). Locate the extracted 'unRAID_VM_453' files for a file called 'unRAID.ovf'

4). Accept the defaults and import the VM.

Time to import the VM takes about 5 to 10 minutes or maybe longer, depending on the hosting computer's specifications.

Note: The disks on the VM need to be assigned, build the parity disk and get formated like any other physical unRAID Server. This process will also depend on the host's specifications. Do not interrupt these processes mentioned like powering off or suspend/pause the VM. It is best to let these building processes complete sucessfully before interrupting it in any way.

Credits and Thanks:

Many thanks to all who assisted me on the original thread and also thank you to Msan for providing the FTP space to host this VM. I hope that this VM provides the courage and knowledge to those who want to test out unRAID but don't have the hardware or extra computer to test unRAID. Also to those who want an easier way to test and to develop on a unRAID machine. Though it is limited to only one parity and two data disks (a licemce restriction on the Basic Edition version), it is enough to give new comers to unRAID a 'feel' as to how unRAID works, which is the main purpose for this VM.

No worries Rajahal. I don't (or I believe I don't) have access to edit the wiki, can you assist on getting a link on it to allow others to download it from there?

@Msan: Yeah the speed of importing took me about 5 minutes and that is on a fairly new Windows 7 build and fresh hardware, so it would vary from host to host I guess. Formatting the disks again will depend the the resources of the host as well.

Edit: I originally forgot to mention at the start of this thread (updated now), the disks on the VM need to be assigned and formated like any other physical unRAID Server, adding to reality to using this to learn part of what needs to be done to get in unRAID Serer up and running. It would take the fun out of it if all of this was done.

Well done unraided!  If you haven't already, you should add this to the wiki.

Actually, everyone has access to edit the wiki.  Just click the link in the top right and create an account (using the same username and password as the forums).  I added a link to the 'Getting Started' section to catch the attention of new users, but it would be even better if you wrote out a full article about your VM, since you obviously know a lot more about it than I do.  Maybe add it to the Virtual Machine Options section.

• 1 month later...

Im new in this forum and i been trying Unraid for a few days in a Virtual Box.

I unistalled the UnRaid server and the Virtual Box app, but i just realized i still getting the root user process in my activity monitor.

Does anyone know how can i close all that proces forever?

Im really new to this kind of stuff and i been looking UnRaid to solve some media storage problems.

THanks!

4711952840_11ed74308a_b.jpg

Im new in this forum and i been trying Unraid for a few days in a Virtual Box.

I unistalled the UnRaid server and the Virtual Box app, but i just realized i still getting the root user process in my activity monitor.

Does anyone know how can i close all that proces forever?

Im really new to this kind of stuff and i been looking UnRaid to solve some media storage problems.

THanks!

You can kill some of those root process, but some will restart themselves automatically.  If you do not know what you are doing do not touch the root user stuff in OS X activity monitor.

NOTE: The root user you are seeing is COMPLETELY different then the one that was in the unRAID VM. Since OS X is based on BSD you will see a root user for a lot of the core OS X functions.

• 2 months later...

When I try to start the VM it comes up with the boot loader, I pick unraid, it loads bzimage, then it tries loading bzroot then says:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:

pae

Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

Any ideas?  I'm using a Core 2 T5200.

Running on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid).

VirtualBox 3.1.6 OSE

apparently with 10.4 if you have over 3GB pae is automatically enabled, I only have 2GB though, I'm just downloading the necessary packages now, will give that a go, thanks for your help.

*edit*

That didn't help, I've rebooted and my kernel now shows up as 2.6.32-24-generic-pae but the same thing happens when I start the VM

• 4 months later...

Bump. Hi all. Apologies for the late reply. I've finally made the effort to upload my virtualized edition of unRAID (should be available soon), which was built using Oracle (was Sun) VirtualBox. It is the v4.5.3 edition, so be sure to update the bzroot and bzimage files for the latest updates/bug fixes.

Cheers.

Hi all. I'll get the original VM and readme.txt files (which I provided earlier last year) uploaded sometime this week for all to wish to obtain them.

Thanks.

Thanks for those, I will add them as well, but I'm looking for 'unRAID_VM_453.zip' and 'Readme.txt'