iStarUSA D-3100HN-DT - new good alternative to D-316M case

gfjardim

I bought one from x-case UK and was issued with a full refund (and got to keep it) because of it's SHOCKING build quality. The fans at the back don't even take standard 80mm fans when a motherboard is installed, just one example. Look in your pictures and you can see the fan hanging into the motherboard backing plate area by a few mm, just awful. The iStar drive caddies were OK but one of the two was faulty that I received.

Sharp edges everywhere, thin flimsy panels and everything is riveted in place meaning you will have a 'fun' installation time with this case. I got half way through my build and gave up. I've never done that and been building systems for 15+ years!

It was such a disappointment because if executed correctly it would have been a superb case. Score out of 10... probably a 2 because the design is soooo good but executed so poorly.

===

In other news: anyone want to buy this case off me ?  8)

• 2 weeks later...

It was such a disappointment because if executed correctly it would have been a superb case. Score out of 10... probably a 2 because the design is soooo good but executed so poorly.

I agree. In the pictures it is superb.....

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

• 3 weeks later...

ironicbadger im also in the UK and looking for a case like this, or a tower one. Have you found anything else?

Nope, nothing. Nada.

I ended up going with a Q25B in the end from Lian Li. Man that case is small and sexy and quiet.

As I'm sure you know I'm a HUGE fan of the Q25B ... but I don't think I'd go so far as to call it sexy  :)

I might give the 8 bay one a go, it's pricey but probably the most appropriate at this point.

As an HTPC + unRAID combo case, it's ideal, especially now that we have virtualisation support.

http://www.xcase.co.uk/home-server-pc-cases/d-380hn-t-3u-compact-8x3-5-trayless-hotswap-rackmount-or-htpc-169-00-x-case.html

I promise you for the price you'll be disappointed. If you really want to buy it I still have mine sat here... Yours for £75 plus shipping.

It IS possible the 8-bay unit is better-made than the 10-bay unit ... but it seems unlikely.  The key difference seems to be the orientation of the hot-swap drive holders.

... on the other hand, at least X-Case seems to be very good at providing a refund if you're disappointed (based on ironicbadger's experience).

It IS possible the 8-bay unit is better-made than the 10-bay unit ... but it seems unlikely.  The key difference seems to be the orientation of the hot-swap drive holders.

... on the other hand, at least X-Case seems to be very good at providing a refund if you're disappointed (based on ironicbadger's experience).

The drive cages are great, the best bit of the case. It's chassis itself which is cheaply made, has sharp edges and doesnt actually fit stuff as you'd expect.

• 4 months later...

I got it for $375 on Newegg a month ago, don't know why the price has gone up so much.

There is no internal 2.5" mounting bracket but there is a 3.5" internal mounting bracket which I have used to mount two SSD's inside of a 2-to-1 enclosure.  I'm planning to add two more SSD's that and I will just through them in between the two 3.5" HDD cages with some velcro tape.