Plugin Priority Updates

Squid

Guys (or for all I know, Gals)

Every once in a while because of the fact that CA has to deal with and manipulate data structures from numerous persons (maintainers, appFeed, unRaid itself), there are occasions where it has updates that are outright required in order for it to continue to function.

While CA does currently tell everyone that an update is available when loading its page, I'm debating whether to have CA automatically update itself if an update is required, or proposing to have another ENTITY added to the .plg that would signal dynamix to automatically update the plugin if the update is required.

Any thoughts on this?

Its nothing for me to add another setting that would signal CA to keep itself up-to-date automatically, but I'm starting to think that unRaid should do the same thing for its plugins.  After all, every other OS out there does this all automatically.

It would solve a fair few problems.  Only exception I can think of is that of Unraid itself.  Would be a somewhat emotive issue to upgrade the OS automatically on reboot....

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

after thinking about this for a bit, I think that so-called priority updates would be a major PITA.

Instead, I'm working on this for CA

width=800http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/squidaz/Untitled_zpsi06ibcgh.png[/img]

And unRaid itself is already automatically excluded

Maybe Dynamix could install priority updates after checking for new updates on the nightly schedule.

My thought process for declining priority updates was that occasionally, a priority update might be immediately followed by another minor update etc (I know I've done it), and the subsequent updates wouldn't necessarily be tagged as a priority, and by the time dynamix rolls around to checking for updates, the initial priority might get missed in the process.  (and autoupdating is a hell of a lot easier to handle than priority updating)

Either way, after some more QC tonight / tomorrow, CA will be ready to roll with selectable autoupdating of plugins and we'll if bonienl / LT takes notice of it.

Unfortunately, due to some outstanding bugs in dockerMan regarding when it thinks that an update is available for docker containers, CA won't autoupdate a container.

Maybe Dynamix could install priority updates after checking for new updates on the nightly schedule.

My thought process for declining priority updates was that occasionally, a priority update might be immediately followed by another minor update etc (I know I've done it), and the subsequent updates wouldn't necessarily be tagged as a priority, and by the time dynamix rolls around to checking for updates, the initial priority might get missed in the process.  (and autoupdating is a hell of a lot easier to handle than priority updating)

Either way, after some more QC tonight / tomorrow, CA will be ready to roll with selectable autoupdating of plugins and we'll if bonienl / LT takes notice of it.

Unfortunately, due to some outstanding bugs in dockerMan regarding when it thinks that an update is available for docker containers, CA won't autoupdate a container.

I get it and think it's a good idea.  How does a plugin flag a priority update?

I get it and think it's a good idea.  How does a plugin flag a priority update?

You misunderstand - I discarded that idea and went for autoupdate update instead.  I originally was thinking of adding a new entity to the plg file