how do I make this thing useful?

I'm sorry to say I've gotten pretty darned frustrated with this very expensive boat anchor on my desk.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my computer to know it's there.  I can get to the web gui in my internet browser but how do you actually put files onto the server.  It shows as tower in windows explorer but cannot access it.  Diagnosis is useless.  Can anyone help?  Please?

Make sure your server is connected to the ethernet and your computer, too. After booting up, the web interface of the server should be available if you just type http://tower in the adressbar of your web browser (on your computer). You can additionally check your router if it is set to  give IP adresses automatically (DHCP) or alternatively set your own  ip configuration on the flashdrive in /config/network.cfg like this:

# Generated settings:
USE_DHCP="no"
IPADDR="192.168.178.39"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.178.1"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"
DNS_SERVER1="192.168.178.1"

I hope this helps.. You are not giving much info on what you tried so this is about it :P

edit: If you have a screen and keyboard connected to the server you can log into the commandline by typing 'root' after it booted and see the ip of the device by typing 'ifconfig'.

Without further information as to what exactly your problems are, your steps should be (assuming you have set up your hard drives)

Create users on your server through the User's tab.  The user names and passwords should match your login credential on your desktop.

Create shares on your server through the Shares tab (ie: Movies, Television, Pictures, etc) and set the appropriate permissions for them.

After tha you should be able to open up an explorer window and navigate to the share (\\tower\Movies) for instance and copy the files onto them.

Make sure your server is connected to the ethernet and your computer, too.

If you'd read his post, you'd see he can get to the web interface just fine.

OP, you need to set up a user (typically just use whatever user you're using on your Windows box), and then set up a share.  Once you've done that you're laughing.

I'm sorry to say I've gotten pretty darned frustrated with this very expensive boat anchor on my desk.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my computer to know it's there.  I can get to the web gui in my internet browser but how do you actually put files onto the server.  It shows as tower in windows explorer but cannot access it.  Diagnosis is useless.  Can anyone help?  Please?

Perhaps this will help:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual