Is it safe to run UnRaid in a VM on ESXi?

My plan was to follow what some people have been running, which is pass through my hd's through a LSI card flashed in IT mode and install EXSi bare metal.

Other forums that i've found suggest running software raid in a VM is a very bad idea and that I should just get my own dedicated NAS.  Does anyone have feedback on this?

Also anyone have a guide on how to get everything going by chance?  I'm new to EXSi but i've been wanting to both build a NAS (Using Unraid for this) and learn Exsi at the same time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Software raid can be perfectly fine in a vm. Or a terrible idea. It depends on the specific implementation (specifically of the underlying storage!).

For unraid, using pass-thru as you've described there are no issues. Plenty of people here running that setup (including myself) for many years without any problems - and all the benefits! :)

Thank you all, I followed the Atlas guide and got Unraid 5 working with ESXi 6.0 and the plop method.

Parity sync and Check went fine and i've been filling things up.

Side question if anyone knows the answer:

I see my disks as: disk1, disk2, etc.  Is there an easy way to re-name these disks that show up in the tower host?

• 2 weeks later...

My plan was to follow what some people have been running, which is pass through my hd's through a LSI card flashed in IT mode and install EXSi bare metal.

Other forums that i've found suggest running software raid in a VM is a very bad idea and that I should just get my own dedicated NAS.  Does anyone have feedback on this?

Also anyone have a guide on how to get everything going by chance?  I'm new to EXSi but i've been wanting to both build a NAS (Using Unraid for this) and learn Exsi at the same time.

I have run like this for several years, works beautifully.

That should only happen to rdm drives. I have both saslp and m1015 passed through and temp+spindown work as expected. However when I tried rdm a while back the did not

Yeah I'm in pass-through mode, not rdm. I sometimes hear the drives spin up upon first access. But UI never shows them as spun down, nor do I see temp fluctuations. I'm running unraid version 5.06

Any ideas?

Any one else have /bzroot take forever to load on startup?

Yes. Takes about 5th minutes to boot.

Wow!  Really?  My unRAID Vm boots in about 30 seconds, including the Plex plugin.

I'm using plop and I suspect you're using a passed through vmdk

You are correct.  I was thinking about trying out plop.  I guess i will stay with my current config.

Can you convert unRAID to a vmdk or are those only for dev builds?  If so.. I can't find any instructions, both sets I found were for PLOP

In short:

- maka a new vmdk, 8GB will be ok

- attach it to a another VM (not unRAID), Windows for example, format it with FAT32

- give it label UNRAID

- download unRAID instalation or copy from flash all contents, make it bootable - on Windows run appropriate bat file as Admin

- change drive label to something else, Unraid_boot for example

- attach this vmdk to your unRAID VM and boot :)

Can you convert unRAID to a vmdk or are those only for dev builds?  If so.. I can't find any instructions, both sets I found were for PLOP

Download http://goo.gl/T47Mh8.  Copy the vmdk to your datastore.  Attach it to your VM and reboot. 

That is 14b. You can update it to 15 by first attaching it to a Windows VM and copying over the files.

Well thats easy, I thought the key and GUID would get in the way.  Is this the update path for all future updates? Or do things need to be vetted first?

Download http://goo.gl/T47Mh8.  Copy the vmdk to your datastore.  Attach it to your VM and reboot. 

That is 14b. You can update it to 15 by first attaching it to a Windows VM and copying over the files.

Well thats easy, I thought the key and GUID would get in the way.  Is this the update path for all future updates? Or do things need to be vetted first?

You still need to have your USB stick passed through.  It gets the config and license from there.

You dont need to download a new vmdk every time. You can just copy over the changed files from the zip you download.

You still need to have your USB stick passed through.  It gets the config and license from there.

You dont need to download a new vmdk every time. You can just copy over the changed files from the zip you download.

Should I leave the other files on the USB besides the config/license? (bzroot/bzimage)

Should I leave the other files on the USB besides the config/license? (bzroot/bzimage)

I'm not 100% sure which files are necessary.  I always update both locations.