Build questions

Hi all registered because i am looking in to migrate to Unraid.

Currently my hardware is running xpenology.

I have a normal mobo msi970 with an amd phenom 955x4 cpu an xfx6870 videocard 9x2TB hdd's 1x4TB hdd 1x3TB hdd a samsung 850evo 120GB ssd and a ocz 64GB vertex3 ssd built in a define xl2 case  with some additional fans to keep it al cool.

Currently running on xpenology but want somthing else.

I realise i have to buy a pro liscence but thats no problem.

Usage is gonna be to have it as media/storage server.

I want to run sabnzbd,sonarr,couchpotato,headphones and autosub on it and a mysql db for kodi and spotweb.

Can anyone advice me which way to go?

I want to if i set it up just to get it up and running asap and without troubles.

Please advice how to go and wher to put everything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Suggest taking it slow and asking more detailed questions as you go. Probably best to concentrate on getting basic NAS functionality working and understood before going on to additional capabilities.

If I was starting fresh, I think I would go ahead with the latest v6 beta. V6 is getting close to release now and really works better than v5 with a lot of improvements in UI and extra functionality.

I'm not familiar with autosub but all of those other apps are available as dockers here.

The first thing you will want to consider is how to get your data into unRAID. Do you have complete backups of everything? Don't have any experience with xpenology, but typically you will want to start with one or more empty drives on your unRAID and some method of transferring your existing data.

I would start by clearing the data off the 4TB and 3TB drives and one of the SSD drives. Get a good USB stick and download the latest unRAID 6 beta onto the USB stick.  Boot off the stick and follow the guides here on the site to pre-clear the drives.

When the pre-clears are done, setup the 4TB drive as your parity drive and 3TB as a data drive and and the SSD as your cache drive and start up the array.  Play around with it as much as you need until you are comfortable with it.  When you are ready, upgrade to a Pro license and migrate the other data drives in.  Go slow, one step at a time, and backup your unRAID configs at each step as you build out functionality.  Focus on basic NAS functionality first, then start adding one docker at a time.

Have fun!

Will you be using new drives, or drives that you already have been using without problems? The recommendation with new drives is to preclear them so they get tested well. For used drives, a SMART report is probably good enough.

The official Getting Started Guide.

Will be using all my old hard drives.

Laat tip is also good but need to set it up asap cause the mrs isn'happy atm wirhout media @home????.

How fast will the pro key will be sent to the netherlands because of the time difference?

Starting out with 13 disks and 25TB should good enough to start.

Also looking for more energy efficient mobo and cpu to replace my msi consumer mobo with amd cpu and also a graphics card in it wich makes a lot of heat.

Budget for it is araound 200 euro's.

Hope you guys can help me out with that as well.

I'll venture an opinion on an upgrade path for your system.  A decent Haswell processor such as the Pentium G3258 should be more than capable of serving up all the functionality you describe in your first post.  It is inexpensive, fast, and very energy efficient.  The onboard graphics will meet your needs for server management, but don't expect to play 3D games on it!

Motherboards aren't as straightforward to choose, because one thing to keep in mind is the total number of drives you'll want to be able to install.  A cheap H97 board such as the AsRock H97 Anniversary will give you 6 SATA ports right off the bat, but you'll have to add expansion cards to get more ports.  There are motherboards that have a lot more SATA ports onboard, but they are more of a niche product and cost a lot more.

For RAM you want as much as you can afford.  I wouldn't build a new system with less than 8 GB.

A very capable affordable system using consumer grade parts could be:

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/VLz4P6

Parts add up to 216 euro, shipping additional.

A system using these would probably draw about 20-30 watts when idle.  I'll bet this is much less than your current AMD system.  I suspect your electricity may be rather expensive, so having a more efficient system could save your from 5 - 15 euro per year.

Other users can probably give you real useful advice on which motherboard to purchase, but I doubt you'll find anything that gives you enough SATA ports on the motherboard itself that doesn't cost the entirety of your budget.

Ok that is interesting indeed.

I need indeed a mobo with 6 sata ports,already got the expension card lsi/ibm 1015 up and running in this setup.

And 16GB of ram so only mobo and cpu are needed and just an hdmi connection to put on a terminal to acces bios an watch boot process the rest will be running headless or by the gui.