Seagate barracuda pro drives

Southbark

Traditionally, hard drives have a row of three mounting holes on each side facing outwards and a row of three with the same spacing on each side facing downwards. That's a total of 12 holes, giving a lot of choice for mounting the drive. Some drives have larger chambers to accommodate an extra platter or two so all four of the centre holes are missing since they would pierce the chamber and foul the bottom platter. The positioning of the eight remaining holes is unchanged. The problem is that some enclosures use the centre and either the front or rear holes in one plane or the other so you end up mounting the drive using only two screws, which is less than ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

Look closely at the reviews of these drives before pulling the trigger. I saw a 6TB drive in this series at a good pricepoint, but the reviews were mediocre at best and decided to pass. HGST drives consistently get the highest reliability scores from BackBlaze reviews, and those would be my first choice, even if I have to pay a premium.