First unRAID build - Need hardware suggestions

VoNpo

Hi,

I'm starting my first unRAID (and NAS) build and I need some advice for hardware.

Mainly this build will be Plex server, but I want also use this build to x264 encoding and run some vm in it.

Preliminary part list

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F

Ram: 8GB Samsung M391A1G43DB0-CPB x 2 (16GB total)

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v5

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850w

Parity drives: WD RED 4TB x 2

Case: Logic Case SC-4324S - [glow=green,2,300]Ordered[/glow] (Fans will be replaced with Noctua)

Any thoughts of these parts?

I might add ssd's later for cache and vm's

My main concern is SAS and expander cards.. Which one's to buy to get most efficient build. I read that cache and other ssd's would be better mount directly to mb, so i would like to add all case sas connectors to external cards. Will 3 x M1015 cards work with that mb or are there better solutions?

All help is welcome  :)

It all depends on the backplane, you may only need one HBA for all 24 drives, or you may want to split the load between two HBA's if the backplane will allow it, unless you are connecting the HBA's directly to SATA ports for each drive on the rear of the backplane, in which case you'll need three HBA's as each one can only support up to 8 drives I believe (assuming you are filling the case with 24 drives.

Case is not arrived yet, but it seems that it has 6 seperate boards.

EDIT:

I will start with only 6 drives, but I would like to add then top to bottom (one for each backplane). I think it will give more security if example backplane fails and kills all drives on it. So basically I need to connect all 6 backplanes at start.

147435_7.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Other aspects of the build look good.  Other people are using that motherboard with unRAID.  It has the graphics chip you need since the CPU doesn't have integrated graphics.  The memory is unbuffered, which is what you need.  16GB is fine for unRAID and a VM or two but heavy VM work might require more memory.  The PSU looks like a single 12v rail, which is good for unRAID.

You don't mention how much Plex transcoding and H.264 encoding you want to do, but the 1240v5 should be good for several streams.  It should also be Ok for some light VM work in addition to Plex.  You might want more cores if you plan to do a lot of VM work, though.

You want to add at least one cache device right way - that's where Docker and Plex go, as well as VMs.

Thanks for your reply

I think that there will be max 4 plex streams simultaneosly and maybe 1-2 (light) vm's. So I think that 16gb ram is enought for start.

x264 encoding (handbrake, megui etc) will not be used so often, but when needed I don't want to use my gaming pc to do encoding.

So with these parts + 2 x m1015 and cables I'm good to go?  8)

(2 x reverse breakout cables to mb sata ports + 4 x sff-8087 to sff-8087 cables for m1015)

Can anyone recommend some good seller to buy these m1015?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252307047041

This seller has some comments that cards buyed from him flashed to it mode without problems.