Transfer Speeds

Pontey

Hello everyone

I have a basic NAS setup, I can transfer upto 112mb/s avg constant. I plan on setting up a new NAS very soon, and looking at a board with dual Ethernet connections so i can bound them together to get higher transfer speeds.

I have a basic router which my ISP provided with only 4 ports on the back. Would i need a switch and then configure 2 ports to bound and then would my pc need 2 ports to in bound mode as well ? to get the speeds ?

Am not sure on what hardware i need to get higher speeds any advice would be great thanks

Thanks for reading

Happy Nassing

Depends on your client OS, basically at the moment the only way to get more than gigabit for a single transfer with windows clients is using 10GbE, you can use LACP to bound the two NICs, but it only works with multiple transfers/clients and you need switch support.

Linux clients can use bound round robin for increased single transfer performance, no switch support required.

I think it's important to make sure Pontey understands that you'll hit higher speeds on the transfers until your cache drive and ram fill, then speeds will drop down to 40-80MB/s(maybe 100) as it writes to the array. This max speed will be determined by the max read speed of the sending hdd/ssd. You won't hit 1GB/s just plugging it in. There are other things that have to be done to do that.

Hi

thanks for the quick replies :)

My NAS is a very basic setup atm and it does have a SSD drive 128G as a cache drive, i transferred 180g last night to a new share i setup and it did not drop below 108mb/s

what other steps do i need to take ? am not two fuzzy about getting top end transfer speed of 1.2gb/s but anything around 400 to 800 would be great

thanks for the link to the 10gbe parts.

the new NAS will have 2 m.2 SSD's which will have alot higher write/read speeds

thanks for reading

Happy Nassing

These work with unRAID out of the box, and if your devices can handle it, get 1GB/s each way.

Yes, you did put that. As I've learned on here, a lot of times the finer details of things get lost on newer members (and I'm still new myself.) I'm trying to make sure that there are managed expectations and a clearer understanding of what one needs to do/have to try to do achieve what many people come here for, which they usually saw on Linus TT. Since this is one of a handful of questions that repeatedly comes up, the sticking points are often glossed over because responders are tired of repeating the same thing, and begin to shorten responses.

And since the questions comes up more often than not, perhaps it should be a pinned thread somewhere (in a new networking sub forum?), that way it can be referenced with complete information. And perhaps you could be the one to do the write up.  :)