Basic Automation w/ Amazon Dash Buttons

hernandito

Hi Guys,

I ran across this fun looking project where one can take one of those $5 Amazon Dash buttons, and they program it to send a text to your phone when you press it. It is designed to be a silent doorbell in case you need that.

It seems to me that other automation functionalities can be used instead of the "doorbell/text" feature. It uses Node JS, and I can imagine others can generate these scripts.

I could also see the Raspberry Pi being substituted for a Docker. I could see pressing the button to turn lights on-off or unRAID tasks... I guess other ideas can come from the gang here.

For $5, it seems like a very cheap way of physically activating some task. Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

• Pause/Play for your Kodi or Plex
  • Initiate a Library Update in Kodi

I ordered one of the Dash buttons to try the tutorial.

What do guys think? Can someone with more scripting Node JSknowledge comment on what can be done?

Thanks,

H.

https://github.com/initialstate/silent-doorbell/wiki

PS - I ordered a Dash that had a label "Dude". I thought that was cool and edgy. Afterwards, I find out that Dude is a brand of male butt wet wipes.  :o

I have one of the buttons and set it up with homeseer. I keep it at my bedside and when pushed, it turns all the lights off (bedtime scene).

I use a Windows based solution to detect the network call (not block)

It certainly has the coolness factor, but there are a couple of issues: 1) battery is good for about 200 presses and is not replaceable 2) every time you press it, Amazon still gets the network call and sends you a notification to tell you about his to set it up for orders

I have one of the buttons and set it up with homeseer. I keep it at my bedside and when pushed, it turns all the lights off (bedtime scene).

I use a Windows based solution to detect the network call (not block)

It certainly has the coolness factor, but there are a couple of issues: 1) battery is good for about 200 presses and is not replaceable 2) every time you press it, Amazon still gets the network call and sends you a notification to tell you about his to set it up for orders

That is a bummer about the battery and 200 presses. Thanks Aptalca.