FS: Supermicro 4U 24-bay server with upgrades

I have a few upgraded Supermicro 4U servers I'm selling on eBay.  These were bought and upgraded for a business venture that I decided not to pursue.  I also have some 4TB Hitachi Coolspin drives that I can include by creating a private auction.

Starting price is $150, Buy It Now is $295.

Here's the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-Supermicro-4U-server-32GB-ECC-12-core-4xUSB3-HE-power-supply-new-fans-/172342065095

Shipping varies depending on location, roughly $25-$55 via Fedex.  Item weighs 64lbs and is in the US, shipping only to the continental US.

I haven't tested unRAID on this server, but have run Ubuntu, FreeNAS, Finnix, Debian, and Open Media Vault, so unRAID is very likely to work fine.

Here's the eBay ad text:

This Supermicro 4U server runs Linux (tested with Open Media Vault, Debian, and Finnix) and FreeBSD (tested with FreeNAS 9.1 and ZFS).  It will likely run many other types of software but this is what I have actually run on it.  No hard drives are included.

Upgrades include:

- dual 6-core CPUs

- a BIOS upgrade (required for newer CPUs)

- a quieter high-efficiency power supply

- all new low-noise case fans

- thinner SATA cables for better air flow

- more memory

- 4 USB 3.0 ports

It has been tested with 24 Hitachi 4TB drives and works great - no problems.  I created 3 x 8-disk RAID6/RAIDZ2 arrays, wrote some data, worked fine.  During the upgrade I rewired the drive bays so they are striped across all 4 SATA controllers.  This gives better performance since 4 drives can be doing I/O at once instead of just 3.  With an 8-disk RAIDZ2 array on ZFS, I measured around 700MB/sec read and 650MB/sec write using dd with a large file of compressed data.  I have measured similar rates with Linux after tweaking some system settings.  These rates are with the Hitachi "Coolspin" 4TB drives, which max out individually at around 130MB/sec - they are 5400RPM drives.

Included are:

- Supermicro 4U rackmount case with 24 hard drive bays

- 1 high efficiency power supply

- 2 x AMD Opteron 2419 6-core CPUs, 12 cores total

- 32GB ECC RAM (8 x 4GB DIMMS)

- 24 empty drive caddies

- 3 x Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 8-port SATA cards

- 6 x SATA ports on the motherboard, 30 SATA ports total

- 2.5" removable drive slot on the back for a boot drive, SSD, or ZFS ZIL drive

- 2 x GB Ethernet network ports

- 2 x USB2 ports (motherboard)

- 4 x USB3 ports (Highpoint card)

- dual-plug power cord

- a bag of screws for attaching hard drives to drive caddies

The following items are not part of the auction. I am including them as spare parts since I won't use them:

- 1 regular power supply as a offline spare (can't combine non-identical supplies)

- 4 x 4GB DIMMS - run a 48GB system if you like

This system is being sold as a 32GB system but I am including 4 extra 4GB DIMMS as spares or in case you want to run a larger memory configuration.  I can install the memory before shipping if you want and will make sure it boots.  This is the last system I have with 4GB DIMMS.

Here's what you'll need to run this server:

- a keyboard, preferably a USB keyboard

- a monitor with a VGA plug

- an Ethernet cable to connect to your router

Part numbers and links with more detailed specifications:

Case: Supermicro SC846TQ-R900

Motherboard: Supermicro H8DME-2

CPUs: AMD Opteron 2419

SATA cards: Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8

USB3 card: Highpoint RocketU 1144C

Supermicro AOC-SIM1U remote management card

Thanks!  -Jim