Moving files via MC from HW Raid to User Share

GENINC

Hi Folks,

I am a complete newcomer to unraid and trying to setup my first server. I've combed through the web and this forum but have yet to find a solution to my problem.

When copying a folder from a HW raid box to a user share it gives me the following error: Cannot create target directory: Read only file system.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong if I screwed up somewhere in the general setup of unraid.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hi Folks,

I am a complete newcomer to unraid and trying to setup my first server. I've combed through the web and this forum but have yet to find a solution to my problem.

When copying a folder from a HW raid box to a user share it gives me the following error: Cannot create target directory: Read only file system.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong if I screwed up somewhere in the general setup of unraid.

Any help is much appreciated.

Does the user that you're using have RW access to the share?

Post the diagnostics.

Which machine is MC running on?

What protocol are you transferring the files over with SMB AFP NFS

Most of your shares are set to Private, but with no one having read or write access with SMB  (but NFS and AFP are both set to public)

When using SMB and Private shares, you have to explicitly give each user access to the shares (Read Only or RW) via the SMB Security Settings for each share.

Additionally, you would also have to create a user(s).

Setting it to Public would eliminate those requirements.

I am transferring the files via MC GUI on the machine itself. I actually had all shares public when I tried the transfers and changed them to private afterwards out of security concern.

Where exactly do you specify RW access in SMB security settings on the share? All I have is export setting and security (public, secure, private). Maybe it's in front of my nose kind of scenario but I don't see anything pertaining to RW access in the share.

Just so we're on the same page, by MC GUI you mean that you're typing mc at the command prompt?  And the remote machine is mounted I assume the Unassigned Devices plugin

If so, that means that the problem isn't with the security settings, but rather with the permissions on the folder.  I would install the Fix Common Problems plugin, then from the Tools Tab run Docker Safe New Permissions and try it again.

If it still fails, post the output of this

ls -al /mnt/user/WhatEverPath/You/AreHaving/ProblemsWith

BTW: Here's where you adjust the share permissions (but you do have to have users defined for private to even work in the first place)

Untitled_zpsf3srchwv.png

Edited by Squid