Drag and Drop, Copying Files from Share to Share, Weird Behavior

egeis

Unraid 6.1.9

So here's the play-by-play:

1. DelugeVPN docker with /torrents, /downloads and /completed directories accessible on /mnt/disk1

2. I get my torrents going and my FLAC downloads complete...

3. I open my local CentoOS 7.3 laptop, open File Management, "Connect to Server", Add windows share "smb://ip.of.my.unraid"

4. All shares show up and I double-click to open my "deluge" share to find the completed flac files that have been downloaded.

5. I open my "media" share for Plex and I drag and drop the files from Deluge into Plex.

6. The write of files takes forever... but they finish and show up in my file manager as having completed.

7. I try to refresh Plex to add the files to my Plex library. Plex doesn't see the files.

8. I SSH into unraid and navigate to the Plex /mnt/disk1/media file share. NONE OF THE FILES ARE THERE>

9. Check my laptop... and refresh the directory. All files are being displayed.

WTF???

Does Unraid work as an NAS? Or is this a load of BS? Why would my CentOS machine be able to interact with these files, drag and drop them locally and put them into Unraid, but when I move them between Unraid shares via the control of my local linux OS they somehow relay to my laptop that all is well and files have been copied appropriately... BUT Unraid itself has NO RECORD of the transaction?

While I like the extensibility and how the "well-behaved" parts of it are working... these kinds of nuances to the system are really really really really really frustrating.

[Not the subject here... but here's some more wacky crap: IOMMU > 32 :: Unraid says No GPU passthrough? Please punch me in the face. I wasted about 2 months of BIOS config and Motherboard/GPU troubleshooting to finally realize it was a bug in Unraid after searching for the right phrase on the forum. ...Not fun.] 

Unraid 6.1.9

So here's the play-by-play:

1. DelugeVPN docker with /torrents, /downloads and /completed directories accessible on /mnt/disk1

2. I get my torrents going and my FLAC downloads complete...

3. I open my local CentoOS 7.3 laptop, open File Management, "Connect to Server", Add windows share "smb://ip.of.my.unraid"

4. All shares show up and I double-click to open my "deluge" share to find the completed flac files that have been downloaded.

5. I open my "media" share for Plex and I drag and drop the files from Deluge into Plex.

6. The write of files takes forever... but they finish and show up in my file manager as having completed.

7. I try to refresh Plex to add the files to my Plex library. Plex doesn't see the files.

8. I SSH into unraid and navigate to the Plex /mnt/disk1/media file share. NONE OF THE FILES ARE THERE>

9. Check my laptop... and refresh the directory. All files are being displayed.

WTF???

Does Unraid work as an NAS? Or is this a load of BS? Why would my CentOS machine be able to interact with these files, drag and drop them locally and put them into Unraid, but when I move them between Unraid shares via the control of my local linux OS they somehow relay to my laptop that all is well and files have been copied appropriately... BUT Unraid itself has NO RECORD of the transaction?

While I like the extensibility and how the "well-behaved" parts of it are working... these kinds of nuances to the system are really really really really really frustrating.

[Not the subject here... but here's some more wacky crap: IOMMU > 32 :: Unraid says No GPU passthrough? Please punch me in the face. I wasted about 2 months of BIOS config and Motherboard/GPU troubleshooting to finally realize it was a bug in Unraid after searching for the right phrase on the forum. ...Not fun.]

Your VM issue is better addressed in another thread.

For your file management issues, I have some ideas about where you may be making a mistake, but I would need more information.

Please go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the complete diagnostics zip.

Endy, I'm lost about what exactly makes up a "user" share vs a "disk" share in 6.1.9. People seemed very specific about that in Unraid 5 and below. In later versions of 6, I'm not so clear on the difference. I have a tab called "Shares"... they're all public, and they were all created before I assigned/linked them to Docker directories. There are "users". What's the difference between a user share, a disk share, and a share? Why would they all be under the tab "Shares" with no differentiation if there was a differentiation?

trurl, thanks... I'd love to hear the ideas. I'm really needing some guidance on far too many subtleties about running this system...

Diagnostics are attached!

unraidtower-diagnostics-20170220-1908.zip

Edited by egeis
notify me of replies

Endy, Every share is a user share. I never made any disk shares. That sadly doesn't explain the issue...

trurl, Here's the docker command:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="binhex-delugevpn" --net="bridge" --privileged="true" -e VPN_ENABLED="yes" -e VPN_USER="xxxxxx" -e VPN_PASS="%%%%%" -e VPN_REMOTE="us-florida.privateinternetaccess.com" -e VPN_PORT="1198" -e VPN_PROTOCOL="udp" -e VPN_DEVICE_TYPE="tun" -e VPN_PROV="pia" -e STRONG_CERTS="no" -e ENABLE_PRIVOXY="no" -e LAN_NETWORK="192.168.1.0/250" -e NAME_SERVERS="8.8.8.8,37.235.1.174,8.8.4.4,37.235.1.177" -e DEBUG="false" -e PUID="99" -e PGID="100" -e TZ="America/New_York" -p 8112:8112/tcp -p 58846:58846/tcp -p 8118:8118/tcp -v "/mnt/cache/appdata/binhex-delugevpn/":"/config":rw -v "/mnt/disk1/deluge/downloads/":"/data":rw -v "/mnt/disk1/deluge/downloads/torrents/":"/torrents":rw binhex/arch-delugevpn

Inside the /downloads directory, I created the /downloads/completed directory... and all completed downloads are moved into this directory by deluge. I drag and drop the files from the "completed" directory into the /media/audio directory used for my miniDLNA install.

Edited by egeis
Supplemental information....

Your OP is a little unclear. Where are you running Plex? On unRAID? On your laptop?

As for user vs disk shares, the path /mnt/disk1/media is a folder named "media" on the disk1 disk share.

And, that folder is also part of the user share named "media", along with any other top level folders by that name on cache or any array disk. The path for that user share is /mnt/user/media.

This is how unRAID has always worked.

trurl, I have no idea how to interpret what you're telling me. When I click on the "Shares" tab, I only have the option of adding User Shares. It has two buttons: "Compute All" and "Add Share". There is no button for adding a share under the Disk Shares header. In fact, it says: "There are no exportable disk shares". I have no idea how to interpret this either. It seems there should be the accessibility to do either... no? Especially because it seems to matter so much. So when you say that /mnt/disk1/media/ is a disk share, does this mean that all of my Dockers use Disk Shares whether I can see them on the Shares tab or not? The way that I add shares to my Dockers is to create them as a User Share first (not knowing there was a difference since I couldn't add any disk shares), then when I create the Docker, Unraid gives me that folder to choose WITHIN the disk1 folder! If the user share I created, and the disk share that Docker creates are TWO different things... Why would Unraid offer them to me that way?

I just updated to 6.3 and things definitely look a little different. Regardless, I don't see "disk1" when I drag and drop files. I just see the shares when I connect via Samba and drag and drop from the Deluge "user share" to the Plex "user share"... which apparently must've worked fine at one point, but have now recently started making my files disappear...

So how would I resolve this use of disk1 vs. user? 

CHBMB, Here's the run command for Plex:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="PlexServer" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -v "/mnt/cache/appdata/plexserver":"/config":rw -v "/mnt/disk1/media/video":"/video":rw -v "/mnt/disk1/media/audio":"/audio":rw -v "/mnt/disk1/media/pictures":"/pictures":rw limetech/plex

It is perhaps a little imprecise to talk of /mnt/disk1 as being the disk1 "share", since the whole concept of shares is about accessing things over the network. While it is possible to share individual disks over the network, I don't recommend it and it usually is unnecessary.

/mnt/disk1 is actually the linux path to your disk1. All of the disks are mounted in /mnt, including /mnt/cache. Also in /mnt is /mnt/user. That is where all the user shares are.

Each user share is actually just the combined contents from all the disks (including cache) of the top level folder named for the user share. For example, you have a media user share. Its path is /mnt/user/media. It is just the combined contents of /mnt/disk1/media, /mnt/disk2/media, ..., /mnt/cache/media.

When you create a user share from the webUI, unRAID will create top level folder(s) named for the share on one or more disks (including cache) as needed and depending on the settings you make for the user share. A user share's settings tells unRAID where to write new files for the share, but unRAID always includes all disks when reading a share if a disk has a top level folder named for the share.

Also, if you (or something else, such as a docker) create a top level folder on a disk, it is automatically a user share named for the folder. If you don't make any settings for the user share, it has default settings.

For the specific case of your plex docker, you are telling it to use only the media folder on disk1. The more correct thing to do would be to just tell it to use the media user share, /mnt/user/media. Same with your deluge docker.

When you move things from one user share to another, linux will often try to move it on the same disk it is already on, instead of copying from one disk to another then deleting it from the first disk. So for example, if you have some files for a user share named downloads, and those files happen to be on disk2, and you move those files to the media user share, they will be put on the folder for media on disk2. If plex is looking for them on disk1 as you have specified, it won't see them.

To translate that example into paths, you are moving /mnt/user/downloads files to /mnt/user/media. The actual downloads files are on /mnt/disk2/downloads. They get moved to /mnt/disk2/media.

It may seem complicated, but this is how unRAID allows you to span disks, and lets you not have to worry about which disk any file is on. Study what I have written here and see if it helps clarify things for you. There are a few other details that I didn't bother to get into for now, so ask if there is anything unclear or anything else you want to know.

• Upvote 1