What RAM Should I get for my new build?

I have been working on building a new server and before I started buying my parts, I was provided with a free 1000watt PSU, Motherboard and CPU to upgrade my current "media server"(win10 with plex and all the downloading stuff)

Parts I already have:

Sabertooth 990fx GEN 3 R2.0

AMD FX-8350

CoolerMaster 1000watt silent PSU

2 240gb ssd(cache drives)

7 3.5in hard drives different sizes

32gb usb drive for os

Case: ThermalTake Core X9 (current config i have will hold 10 3.5in hdd and 2 2.5in, and plan to modify to add more as needed)

I plan to get a SAS9211-8I controller card and 32gb RAM

which comes to my question....I have lost harddrives before and normally due to system failures or corrupt data affecting the file system in the long run it what the RAM causing all the issues.

My question is with unraid is there any benefit using ECC RAM vs Unregistered RAM?

these are the 2 I am thinking about getting

ECC RAM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LMO1DG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=UVV214NF6J6B&coliid=I268QUC214PY5G

Non-ECC RAM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HAXMGA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28G42TVGVKP76&coliid=I2SV31CQV57JE4&psc=1

Thanks

Matt

... My question is with unraid is there any benefit using ECC RAM vs Unregistered RAM?

First, neither of the modules you're looking at are registered.  Your board does not support registered modules.

It only supports unbuffered RAM, with or without ECC.  Fortunately, that's what your links are to.    And yes, I'd absolutely recommend buying the ECC modules => this provides another layer of fault-tolerance for your system for a very nominal cost.

Random bit errors can and DO occur ... and the vast majority of them either go undetected or cause random "crashes" that the user just blames on the OS or a "power spike" => when in fact if they'd had ECC memory there would have been no impact.

Thank you, that is what I needed to know... my current system had major issues where the drives File System would become corrupted. After weeks of testing I finally found a memory module that had many errors. Had them replaced by the MFG and it has been stable...

But I want to get away from windows and upgrade my 8 to 9yr old hardware. I am also adding a UPS and 2 parity drives. I have lost 200gb of ripped music and almost lost 1TB of family photos(thankfully I was able to recover the data).

This time around my goal is stability.

Thanks again

• 2 months later...