Switched to AMD Opteron Build

So my build took a turn when I was just looking around for fun.

My Original build was going to be:

-ASUS Sabertooth 990fx Motherboard -Free hand me down

-AMD FX-8350 cpu - $160

-32GB ECC unregistered RAM - $300-$320

Well I was thinking what could I get, and here is what I got...

-Supermicro H8DGI-F Dual Opteron G34 Motherboard -$215

-2x AMD Opteron 6276 16 Cores 2.30GHZ Processor -$23.49 each so about $50

-64gb (8x8GB) Hynix PC3L-10600R DDR3-1333MHz ECC Registered $100

still have room for another 64gb

$365 for 32 core server grade components vs $460 for 8 cores and consumer grade components

So was the switch worth saving the $100

Let me know you opinion!

Matt

Dual Opteron 6276 scores 10728 on PassMark  and has a 230w TDP (115w each)

An FX-8350 scores  8937  and has a 125w TDP

Clearly the per/core performance is FAR higher with the FX-8350, but the server grade build has registered RAM, higher overall performance, and a lot more cores you can dedicate to specific VM's, etc.

Debatable which will actually perform better in real life UnRAID use ... but the server grade setup is certainly a more "rock solid" setup.

It depends on what you will be using it for.

You would likely have to assign at least 3 Opteron cores for every FX-8350 core to get similar VM performance. If want many lighter duty VM's then the Opteron gives you that ability. Otherwise, it's a toss up where you basically traded extra power consumption for a cheaper price.

It is mainly for Plex and all related downloaders, Plex DVR as well.

Photo server for family photos, owncloud server, Teamspeak3 server, and probably more later.

But I do plan a VM for my eyefi photo transfer software.(uses the eyefi software to sort the files off the card year-mo-day format over wifi)

And probably a 6-8core light-medium game streaming server, most taxing game I have atm is ff14 and on my fx-8320 i can run several instance at once with a R9-280. I only plan to stream other games from my steam library, and if i get 30fps I'm happy.

For now it will have the flexibility for adding more. Although a Mac OSX VM sandbox would be nice to get use to it.(I am Tier II Consumer IT Phone support....I know windows like the back of my hand MAC very little....I can navigate Linux as a user)

My issue in the past has been loosing data and almost loosing out photo drive due to hard drive ntfs corruption. Thankfully i was able to repair it.

So I jumped when I could get the server grade stuff, and when the price drops I can upgrade the CPU's to 6300 series if they have and significant increase in performance.

ATM I have my server spread between 3 computers, this goal is to condense into one and 230w is less than I am currently consuming in my current setup.

---------------

Plans for the Sabertooth Motherboard is to make a 2nd unraid server for my daughters...kinda like the 2 gamers 1 PC but for school work, web browsing, and kid games and ABCMouse.com.

Again plans kinda morphed once I found the supermicro mobo.