Adventures with lian li pc-d8000

Any advise and general thought would be gratefully welcome.

I have 2 servers running at the moment the details are below,  i'm stuck as to which to use as my perm unraid build and the other as a backup zfs.

I know there's many questions and boxes to tick for personal choices but before i venture with details, here's the main reason.

Currently using HGST 7200rpm 4+5TB drives in my unraid array.  Those along with the ssd's are getting some high temps in my logic-case 4216 (norroc 4216) i mean on typical day usage streaming media its not too harsh at 35-40.  But coming to parity checks aswell as heavy SSD caching  ive seen temps upto 53  and having 3x140mm noctua fans on the job to cool things down isnt cutting it.

So i'm moving away from the hotswap server rack in pursuit of the Lian-Li PC-D8000.

Whilst repurposing the 4216 to be used as the backup server with the 12x wd red 3tb's since they run cooler.

Here's the hardware lineup:

Server 1 - Currently unraid-

Motherboard:	Supermicro - X11SSH-LN4F
Processor:	Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1260L v5 @ 2.90GHZ  4c+ht
Memory:          32(2x16gb) DDR4 ECC
HBA:                Dell H310i -  Flashed to lsi 9211-8i IT
Eth:                 Intel x540 t1  10gb.
PSU:                Corsair CM650
Case:               case logic 4216

no room to fit a GFX card because of it being a matx board.
Unraid array=  Parity 2x HGST nas 5TB /  Storage= 2x HGST nas 5TB , 3x HGST nas 4TB, 2x Seagate 4tb /  Cache= 2x  Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

server 2 - currently a backup sync on zfs.

Motherboard:	Supermicro X9SRL-F
Processor:	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L 0 @ 2.00GHz  6c+ht 
Memory:          64 (8x8gb) DDR3 ECC
HBA:                Dell H310i -  Flashed to lsi 9211-8i IT
PSU:                EVGA G2 850w
Case:              Xcase Easy Store 15 4U  -    can fit 3x 140mm fans at the front before hdd roating cage and it works well, but the fan wall after the cage  makes it a tight setup for push/pull flow.

ZFS storage array:  12x WD red 3TB , SSD cache Samsung 840evo 120GB

i am aware i need a newer psu , the 650 is a temp.

Usage:   I  run plex now instead of emby and streaming to 2 users in the household. plenty of docker apps , usual media ones to control meta.  as for VM's only 1 for HTPC but currently disabled . win7 for RDP and ubuntu to mess with. I dont intend to VM a gaming rig as my my PC is got that covered with a nvdia shield to 4k tv in living room if i wanted.

side notes:  On the next gen  x11 the ddr4 is about £120 each, another 2 would max it to 64GB.  i have had a samsung pm961 500gb m.2 in there and transfer speeds peaked at 800mbps over the 10gb from PC. but thermal throttling drops it down to 400 or worse.  I gave up and used the 2xssd's  instead giving it a pool which needs more already.

X9 has alot more pci-e slots but lacks in sata III's

So then i hope i gave as much info as i can do, my brain is dead & ready for some zombie nom nomin if i end up face planting the keyboard.

New D8000 case just arrived with a couple of 3x backplanes.

Look forward to some  responses.

Edited by Akio
content change regarding hardware

Since you aren't doing serious VM work the extra cores of the E5-2630L probably aren't needed in your primary box.  I think I'd stick with the E3-1260L as your primary due to the higher Passmark score and lower power/cooling requirements.  If you need to do more CPU pinning than it seems, though, that could change things.

Of course, that means you have an absolute monster of a backup server.  Are you running 10gb on it?  ZFS is your call and I get that it is a better solution for high speed writes but yikes.

-=^.^=-

Sounds like a plan, gonna use x11 for unraid and the x9 for backup.  I may endup selling the x9 as its overkill if i find another setup that is cheaper with high ram for that zfs.

I had the dual e5-2670 monster as main last year but sold it, went down that route with the left over ram.

I did have a 12port 10gb network with servers, pc and workstation all set up. but ive tried to downsize, so at the moment single 10gb between PC to unraid  remains.

If an atx board on the lga1151 skylake platform had more pci-e  i would happier still but nothing seems plausible.

Appreciate the feedback :)

EDIT 23/02/17**** managed to find a Asus P10s WS motherboard and awaiting it's arrival,  this is replace the x11 as it will offer more spaced out pcie slots allowing for a graphics card, 10gb card and HBA to sit nicely .

Just finished adding sound dampening to the case base and sides. Researching thicker material for the front , these 7200rpm HGST's make some header noise!  .

Had thought about pulling my gaming rig into the case instead and making use of the space and consolidate down a big hardware.

Edited by Akio
updated info