Questions about hosting VMs with raid-protection

nagi

Hi,

I've already an unRAIDstorage server, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the software, but I've only used basic stuff, and have only recently upgraded to 6.2 from 5.RCsomethingIcan'tremember. However, I'm thinking about using unraid to virtualize my current office/gaming/movie/etc desktop, and I have a number of pretty technical question about it.

PC in question:

4790K (has VT-d, integrated GPU will be used for unRAID)

24GB DDR3

AsROCK Z87 Extreme4 (has VT-d)

Asus GTX1080 Founder's Edition

Windows 7 x64 (already installed)

1.  I (will shortly) have two 750GB SSDs that I want to use as mirrored system disks for a Windows 7 setup. I do not want to use the Windows built-in partition-mirroring, instead I would like to use unRAID to provide some raid protection. Is this possible?

2. Would this setup screw with the garbage collection / TRIM of the drives? I'd rather not have perpetually dropping performance.

3. Is there a way to leave the last e.g. 50GB of the SSDs out of the partitions (as extra overprovisioning)?

4. How much memory would unraid need in this setup? (only 1 VM running, everything passed through, unraid only doing raid to two SSDs) My desktop has 24GB of RAM, and I'd like to use most of it.

The The PC has other disks, but AFAIK those can just be passed through to the VM. There won't be any traditional data drives for unraid to handle other than the drives that will be passed through.

PS: yes, I realize I might have just jumped into the deep end. I have some experience, but it is in Windows desktops, not linux and virtualization. I did some research, but kvm-linux.org is currently 503-ing.