Ordered my USB Key yesterday, now looking to build 2nd system.

I finally ordserd my USB key yesterday,

My system consisting of:-

Athlon2400+

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo (Marvell Yukon Gig Lan)

512MB PC3200 Ram

600W PSU

2 x Promise Controllers

Radeo 9600Gfx Card (will replace with older one when USB key arrives)

I will be running 12 HDDs (11 & Parity)

I took the view that using older/slower parts shouldn't cause any problems, in fact the server is currently running under Suse Linux9.1 with this kit and streaming just fine.  I also decided that liviing with the slower 1.1USB boot (if that's what it turns out to be) shouldn't cause any problems, I can't imagine re-booting too often :)

So I told a pal about it who now wants me to build him one.  So I now have a shopping list of bits and wonder if any UK forum members can help with identifying ideal products.  Price is also a consideration here as he's not exactly loaded (who is?!):-

I need:-

1 presentable quiet, cool but still fairly compact case.  This is what I need the most help with.  I don't have a good track record with my choice of cases.  It will be in a living room and will most likely need to take 6 drives (5 & Parity) maximum (he predicts 3 drives)

1 Quiet (fanless?) Mobo with onboard GFX that is 100% Un-Raid USB2 Boot compatible.

1 CPU for this MB, this will only ever be an unraid server so as modest (& therefore cooler) as possible without having any impact on Unraid performance.

1 VERY quiet PSU that could support 6 HDDs in an Unraid

I have some spare PC3200 Memory so no problems there, but how much is the minimum to still achieve FULL Unraid performance?

Any recommendations for these item?  Hopefully available from ebuyer, Scan etc.?

Thanks,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ended up ordering the software last week and it arrived Friday.  I spent all Saturday and Sunday experimenting trying to get it to work on any of the AMD Motherboards I have here.  These are the ones I tried...

ASUS A7N266-VM

-- Closest I got was that it booted from USB Flash Drive and got continuous printing of GRUB

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

-- Couldn't get it to boot from USB

ASUS A8N-VM CSM

-- Couldn't get it to boot from USB

ASUS K8V Deluxe Bios 1005 (Couldn't flash with 1011 or 1012 Beta)

--Boots from USB Flash and gets the following before locking up;

Attempt to access beyond end of drive

01:00:rw=0, want 1277180502, limit=120000

EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk(1,0)):

EXT2_check_page: bad entry in directory #37:

rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset = 1024, inode=0. rec_len=0, name_len=0

Kernel Panic: no init found.  Try passing init=option to kernel

K8T Neo MS-6702 Ver 1 (FIS2R 6702-010) - updated bios to 2.20

--Can't remember the exact error but something to the effect of;

Not a bootable drive

I'm kinda stuck on ASUS Mbs and AMD processors as you can more than likely guess.  I'm placing an order for the CM Stacker and some NetGear GS108s today.  Wish I could have gotten further with the experiments this weekend.  Don't know if I should scrap AMD for this project and just go with an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe or not.  I've got a P4P800 which is running my BeyondTV server but didn't try it over the weekend. I had enough trouble getting Windows 2003 Enterprise Server up after using the box with the A8N-VM CSM to test unRaid.

Did you have any luck?

I want to say rev 2, but I'm at work.  I'll check when I get home and post the rev.

Did you find out which version?  Was yours an "-E" Gig-Lan variant?  Also, did you try tweaking the Bios?  From the other trhead relating to the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe..

I was able to verify that an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe seems to work ok...  We plugged a Flash into a USB port, fiddled with some bios settings, and got it to boot (and fast).  Had to do this:

Under Main -> IDE Configuration - set to "Compatible"/"PATA-only"

Under Advanced -> USB configuration - set to "Hi-Speed" (vs. "Full speed")

Under Boot - set up to boot from the Flash

Still waiting for my key to arrive so can't try myself yet.

Sorry.. ended up getting home way too late last night to look.. 19 hrs at the office just isn't cutting it anymore.  I'm destined to leave normally today so I'll be able to take a look at the board.  Off hand, I don't believe it was the -E version.

Ok.. got a chance to look at the board.  It's not a -E.  It is a A7N8X Deluxe UAY rev 2.0

Although I'm not giving up on using an AMD solution, I went ahead and placed another order at Newegg today... just incase I can't get anywhere with the ASUS / AMD or MSI / AMD soluton.

P4P800 Deluxe

Intel Celeron D 345 Prescott 533MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor

and

Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Yesterday I ordered

(3) NETGEAR GS108 10/100/1000Mbps Copper Gigabit Switch

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power 713001180 ATX12V 600W Power Supply

COOLER MASTER CM Stacker STC-T01-UW Black/ Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle 1600MHz HT Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3400AXBOX

Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model PSD1G400KH

(20) Various length Cat6 cables

It's all due to arrive here on 6/8.. Can't wait.