Thermaltake V6 BlacX w/ built-in HDD dock - $49.99 after MIR and promo

Rajahal

Thermaltake V6 BlacX Edition Gaming Chassis Mid Tower Steel Computer Case BlacX Top Mounted HDD Docking Station VM100M1W2Z

$61.99 after free shipping promo code EMCKJJJ25 (expires 1/17/2011)

$49.99 after MIR

I've never personally used this case, but I think I'm going to buy one just to play around with.  It looks like an almost identical design as the ever-popular Cooler Master 590 (both could hold up to 15 drives).  Quite similar to the Antec 900 and 902 as well, what with the top mounted 200mm fan.  What really piques my interest about this case is the built-in HDD dock on the top of the case.  Do I smell a dedicated preclear slot?  Also comes with an internal 3-in-3 cage.

Dedicated pre-clear slot, oh you guys surely have UCD.

Not a back up slot to archive and save your data, but a preclear slot. LOL!!!

I was thinking this would be a nice case for my music recording server, so I could offload and backup my music data.

But there are also plenty of the USB/eSATA units to work with too.

What's cool about this case, is the low cost.

Once you add the case of a cost and the dedicated preclear slot, it's cost effective vs two pieces.

whats the poing of a docking station out side your server for preclear would you want to insert your hard drive to your tower preclear it then just assine it to your array? or am i missing somthing here ???

The point is that if the drive turns out to be DOA, you haven't wasted any time installing it in your server.  You would wait until it has passed preclear before bothered to physically install it.  Now, if your server is using hot swap bays (especially trayless ones) then the attractiveness of this external hot swap bay decreases, as adding a drive temporarily isn't a big deal.

This external bay would also be nice if you wanted to preclear a drive on a server that is already full.  Say your server is full of 1 TB drives that you want to replace with 2 TB drives.  Instead of removing a drive and operating without parity protection while the new 2 TB drive preclears, you could preclear the new drive while the original array is running normally.

• 5 weeks later...

I just bought this case for an unRAID build and I must say, I'm pretty impressed.  This is a spectacular case for unRAID!

It has the external bay at top, perfect for pre-clearing drives.  The first 5.25" bay is partially obstructed by the external tray at the top, so you cannot use it for a full size bay.  However, it has a removable 3.5" mounting tray in that slot, so it was perfect for a cache drive.  I also think some of the single, trayless backplanes would work in that slot (one without a top).  Below that is 8 unobstructed 5.25" bays.  It has bottom mounted power supply with dust filter.  Open top with plenty of ventilation.  I couldn't find a single sharp edge, so very friendly on the hands.

So you can install two 5n3 backplanes, and one 3n2 (I use Icy Dock).  So:

Cache

Parity

Data1

Data12

So 24TB with parity and a cache drive in a $50 case.

The only negatives I have about it are wire management could be better.  Each 5.25" bay does have a metal tab folded out, which interferes with the Icy Dock backplanes.  I just removed all the panels from the case and hammered the interfering tabs flat.  Took about 15 minutes, so not too bad.  After that, no problem fitting the Icy Docks.

It is also possible to remove the top external bay and free up the 9th bay (so 15 drives in 5n3 backplanes).  However, it will leave you with a small 1x4 hole in the top of the case (plus a couple of small slots where plastic tabs snap in).  If that doesn't bother you, you have more configuration options.  Or if you are technically inclined, you could build a spacer to raise the external bay a 1/2" and free the 9th bay while keeping the external bay.

Just a perfect case for a mid-size unRAID build!

whats the poing of a docking station out side your server for preclear would you want to insert your hard drive to your tower preclear it then just assine it to your array? or am i missing somthing here ???

The point is that if the drive turns out to be DOA, you haven't wasted any time installing it in your server.  You would wait until it has passed preclear before bothered to physically install it.  Now, if your server is using hot swap bays (especially trayless ones) then the attractiveness of this external hot swap bay decreases, as adding a drive temporarily isn't a big deal.

This external bay would also be nice if you wanted to preclear a drive on a server that is already full.  Say your server is full of 1 TB drives that you want to replace with 2 TB drives.  Instead of removing a drive and operating without parity protection while the new 2 TB drive preclears, you could preclear the new drive while the original array is running normally.

I am in the same situation.  I have an Antec 300, so it holds my 6 internal HD's perfectly (max I can use for the Unraid Plus).  So If I want to install a new drive I do not have the room to just add it, so am thinking of either picking up an external HD case (which will be nice for other PC's too) or going with the 5.25" internal that Rajahal recommended to me to run preclear first:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10824&cs_id=1082402&p_id=3857&seq=1&format=2

The point is that if the drive turns out to be DOA, you haven't wasted any time installing it in your server.  You would wait until it has passed preclear before bothered to physically install it.  Now, if your server is using hot swap bays (especially trayless ones) then the attractiveness of this external hot swap bay decreases, as adding a drive temporarily isn't a big deal.

This external bay would also be nice if you wanted to preclear a drive on a server that is already full.  Say your server is full of 1 TB drives that you want to replace with 2 TB drives.  Instead of removing a drive and operating without parity protection while the new 2 TB drive preclears, you could preclear the new drive while the original array is running normally.

I am in the same situation.  I have an Antec 300, so it holds my 6 internal HD's perfectly (max I can use for the Unraid Plus).  So If I want to install a new drive I do not have the room to just add it, so am thinking of either picking up an external HD case (which will be nice for other PC's too) or going with the 5.25" internal that Rajahal recommended to me to run preclear first:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10824&cs_id=1082402&p_id=3857&seq=1&format=2

I have several of these single hot plug drive cages.  I use them in different machines.  Very nice units, you will love it.

Yes, I've been using this case for a prototype build.  I'm overall pretty happy about it, but I do have a few reservations.  First of all, there's no way to pack it with hot swap bays and still have access to the top mounted bay.  In order to use the top mounted bay, you either have to leave the upper-most 5.25" bay empty or fill it with an internal drive (using a 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter bracket, as mentioned earlier).  I tried one of these open-top single hot swap bays in that upper-most slot, and it didn't really work.  The hard drive itself rubs up against the cables coming down from the top mounted slot.  So technically it works, but I don't think it is a very good long-term solution.  I'm disappointed that Thermaltake didn't think to make those cables come out at a right angle instead of straight down.

If you don't care about the top mounted bay, you can just remove the cables that feed it and you'll have full use of all 9x5.25" bays.  Two screws, that's it.  Very easy.

Bending the tabs out of the way was a bit harder than most cases since the tabs extend nearly all the way across the depth of the 5.25" bays.  Annoying.

Here's what I'm currently doing with my V6:

jCyKD.jpg

gKZZ3.jpg

a4o9W.jpg

The upper three 5.25" bays are populated with 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter brackets (one black and two grey).  The lower six 5.25" bays are filled with two Antec 3-in-3s (the units that come with the Antec Nine Hundred Two cases...I've got about 10 spares just laying around from various client builds).

You can see that there's plenty of room in the top most 5.25" bay for an internal HDD and the cables.  However, I had to mount the drive in the lowest possible position, which makes the next bay down a little cramped.  Still, it all fits.

RQ76o.jpg

My conclusion is that this case is a good choice if you don't mind a few internal drives.

Thanks for all the pics!

I'm just planning on building slowly but want room to expand. A while back, I was just going to get a cheapo case but people like you recommended that I "invest" in a nicer case like the CM590. I will probably be running my hard drives internally until I run out of bays... do I have to buy 3.5 to 5.25 adapters for all my hard drives or does the case come with them?

Thanks again!

The V6 is almost identical to the V5 which I use for my unRAID server.  The differences being that the V5 has an eSATA port in place of the external dock, has a large handle on top (not that you need to carry an unRAID server around very much), and the V5 doesn't have provision for a second top-mounted fan.

The V5 has no obstruction on the top bay (other than the standard drive support tabs).  I'm not yet at the point where I need to install 5 in 3 backplanes, but I will be looking at that option in the future.  I see no reason why three 5 in 3 backplanes shouldn't fit comfortably.

One comment I would make is that, with three exhaust fans (top, rear and psu) mounted toward the back of the case, and the low mobo cooling requirements on my i3 system, I find that blocking up the vent holes on the two side panels is a distinct advantage, forcing all the incoming air to enter through the perforated front panels - this offers excellent cooling for the drives (where my ambient temps are usually in excess of 30C).  I found that doing this resulted in a 2-3C reduction in reported drive temperatures.

If you don't want the docking station, or would find an eSATA port just as useful, I would recommend the V5 as more suitable option - not for the ultimate unRAID box, but as drive capacities increase, I'm sure that 15 slots will be more than adequate for most users.

Thanks for all the pics!

I'm just planning on building slowly but want room to expand. A while back, I was just going to get a cheapo case but people like you recommended that I "invest" in a nicer case like the CM590. I will probably be running my hard drives internally until I run out of bays... do I have to buy 3.5 to 5.25 adapters for all my hard drives or does the case come with them?

Thanks again!

The case comes with one 3.5 to 5.25 bay single adapter.  Then it also comes with a three drive cage that sits in three slots.  So it comes with a 1n1 and 3n3 internal adapter.

I also want to add that the screwless PCI tabs aren't the best.  The cards can still move too much for my tastes, so I used screws instead of the screwless.

I should have my build done on Monday (I'm waiting for some SATA to Molex adapters to get it all powered up).  I'll post some pictures when I'm done and its cleaned up, but I'll have 12 hot swap bays with an internally mounted cache drive.  I could have had 13 bays, but I reused some backplanes I already had vs buying a new 5n3.  I figure that by the time I get to the point I need that extra bay, I'll be ready to expand to 20 drives anyway.  I also only have 4 Sata on MB, a 8 SATA Supermicro and a 2 SATA PCI card.  So 12 data/parity drives on the MB and Supermicro.  Cache and dock on the PCI card.