Would this work for first build?

abi

I've been thinking about building my first unraid server -- but I have very little experience with this sort of thing and have been dithering about spending a few hundred dollars. My plan would be to put 3+1 drives in it for now, but have some wiggle room for a bit of future expansion.

I'm tempted by today's newegg deal (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.590795&cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-590795-_-01252011).

Seems pretty good. Would this make sense as an unraid server, mainly to hold videos and music for our HTPC, plus home movie and photo backups?

$254.99 + shipping + drive cages + drives =

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

Motherboard: ASUS AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Case: RAIDMAX APEX Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply:  450W Power Supply (Model:ATX-802BP) (seems to come with above case)

SATA Expansion Card(s): 6

Cables: don't know

Fans: 120mm rear fan

Total Drive Capacity: six 3.5” drive bays (two external and four internal)

Primary Use: NAS for HTPC

Thanks for your input!

Just a few thoughts

The no name powersupply is of concern, though probably fine for a small build. Actually, you can zoom in on the power supply label in the case picture, and it looks like its a single 21A +12V rail. Model number is Rx-450k, with ky-550atx in brackets beside it

Buying extra things in that deal, that would be of no use in an unraid box? (dvd burner, card reader) So while you're saving $56, once you take away the cost of the extraneous bits, the savings only $22. Though you may have those earmarked for elsewhere?

Personally, I'd prefer a 45W CPU over the 65W one. Heat and power consumption really (though this cpu may be undervolted to achieve same?)

Motherboards chipset seems fine - other folks reporting 785G ok in http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility

A few warnings about that motherboard - I used to recommend it, but now I no longer do.  It has a lot of problems reliably booting from certain flash drive, and I also had the good fortune of finding two defective models in a row.  I think there may be some issues with running a SASLP card in the board's PCIe x16 slot if you ever feel you might expand to that level.  In my testing all the onboard SATA ports worked fine, so for your small scale it should be OK.  Just search the forums and try to find a flash drive that is known to work with that board.

Archived