unRAID Server release 4.2 available

Download.

Here is release 4.2 "Final".  We have been shipping this with new servers for a couple of weeks now and everything is stable on the h/w platform we're using in the MD-1500.

We are also trying something of an experiment with this release.  We decided to disable "User level security" in the Basic (free) version of unRAID Server OS.  This feature is enabled in both Plus and Pro versions.  Whether or not future features are omitted from Basic version remains to be seen.

Sorry to you NFS guys - I wanted to post 4.3-beta1 at the same time as 4.2 'final', but due to continuing work on our main website, it will have to wait a few more days.

Also, regarding some of the outstanding issues in 4.2, e.g., Realtek driver, we are waiting for the next major linux release (2.6.23), which should be out any day now.

Finally, again thanks to everyone who continues to help shake out bugs in the software.

unRAID Server 4.2 Release Notes

Upgrade Instructions (Please Read Carefully)
--------------------------------------------
If you are currently running unRAID Server 4.2-beta1 or higher, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot

If you are currently running unRAID server 4.0 or 4.1, please copy the following files from the new release to the root of your Flash device:
    bzimage
    bzroot
    syslinux.cfg
    menu.c32
    memtest

This can be done either by plugging the Flash into your PC or, but copying the files to the 'flash' share on your running server.  The server must then be rebooted.

If you are currently running unRAID Server 3.0-beta1 or higher, please follow these steps to upgrade:

1. Referring to the System Management Utility 'Main' page, make a note of each disks's model/serial number; you will need this information later.

2. Shut down your server, remove the Flash and plug it into your PC.

3. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Properties.  Make sure the volume label is set to "UNRAID" (without the quotes) and click OK.  You do NOT need to format the Flash.

4. Copy the files from the new release to the root of your Flash device.

5. Right-click your Flash device listed under My Computer and select Eject.  Remove the Flash, install in your server and power-up.

6. After your server has booted up, the System Management Utility 'Main' page will probably show no devices; this is OK, navigate to the 'Devices' page. Using the model/serial number information gathered in step 1, assign each of your hard drives to the correct disk slot.

7. Go back to the 'Main' page and your devices should appear correctly.  You may now Start the array.

If you are installing this release to a new Flash, please refer to instructions on our website at:

http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=19

Changes from 4.1-beta4 to 4.2
-----------------------------

Bug Fix: fixed SMU password-prompting broken in 4.2-beta4.

Misc: restrict User level security feature to Plus and Pro versions only.

Changes from 4.1-beta3 to 4.2-beta4
-----------------------------------

Bug Fix: initial create of a User share was ignoring configured parameters, causing the share to be created using "High-water" method with null Included/Excluded strings.

Bug Fix: if a share Export mode was set to "Export read/write, hidden", then it would indeed be exported as read/write, hidden, but the System Management Utility would show it's setting as "Don't export".

Bug Fix: if the Time zone was set to something other than "(custom)", the time zone abbreviation was displayed wrong.

Improvement: increased some maximum sizes:
- for a Share name: 80 characters (Windows maximum permitted)
- for a Share comment: 256 characters (Windows maximum permitted)
- Included disks, Excluded disks: 256 characters
- for Exceptions, Valid users, Invalid users: 256 characters
Note that the total lenth of a User share file path can not exceed 240 characters.

Improvement: now possible to specify a range of disks in Included disks and Excluded disks.  For example:
  "disk1-4, disk6, disk10-11"

Improvement: de-coupled root login from User share security mode.  Now if the root password is not blank, then we prompt user for password when opening System Management Utility webpage, if root password is blank, then there will be no password prompt.  Regardless, telnet login will prompt for password, which can be blank.  For both SMU and telnet, only the user 'root' can log in.

Improvement: added Marvell SATA driver

Changes from 4.1-beta2 to 4.2-beta3

Improvement: changed method for spinning up drives - should be more reliable.

Improvement: added lastest Realtek r8168 driver verion 8.003.00.  This is the Linux device driver released for RealTek RTL8168B/8111B and RTL8168C/8111C, Gigabit Ethernet controllers with PCI-Express interface.

Changes from 4.1-beta1 to 4.2-beta2

Bug Fix: don't create User shares from ordinary files found in the root of each disk.

Bug Fix: correct problem where Windows would complain about "directory not found" when deleting a directory in a User share.

Bug Fix: do not any user except 'root' log in to the console or telent.

Changes from 4.1 to 4.2-beta1
-----------------------------

Improvement: added users and passwords support

Improvement: full User Share support

Improvement: added buttons to the Main page to immediately spin up or spin down all the hard drives.  Also moved "Clear Disk Statistics" button to the Main page.

Bug fix: Fixed code assertion bug handling disk errors.

Misc: upgrade to linux 2.6.22.5 kernel.

Misc: upgrade to Samba 3.0.25b.  Note: after upgrading to this version of Samba, some users have reported that even though they can see their shares, Windows reports that the share is not accessible.  This can be remedied by re-booting your Windows PC.

Misc: added "-p port" option to emhttp executable to change the port that the System Management Utility listens to from the default '80'.

Misc: added a boot menu with option to start "Memtest86+" - an open source x86 system RAM test suite.  Refer to http://www.memtest.org/

does this version have the fix for the Samba bug identified and a solution found in the last beta?

Sorry if im an missing the bit in the release notes but i just cant see it

You beat me to the questionn...

If not in this version, I don't think I'll even bother to try 4.2 final.  I don't need the password on the management page, and since I'm not running basic, I'm not affected by the removal of user-security.

Tom, version 3.0.26a of "smbd" works very well.  It should be included in your next release if it is not in 4.2 final. 

(Hope you did not decide to release 4.2 final with a major bug outstanding and a solution identified.) 

See here for the discussion about the fix: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1021.msg7111#msg7111

Joe L.

• 1 month later...