WHS convert build

tgggd86

I have spent a lot of time reading around on here and haven't really found anyone with a box doing what I am looking to do.  First of all I am replacing my dying WHS and being that Microsoft killed the best feature about WHS (drive extender) I discovered unRAID as the best replacement.

I will be using my box to store my DVD and Blu-ray rips and stream them over the network.  I use MyMovies to watch my movies on my server ATM from my HTPC, but it doesn't look like there is an add in for MyMovies for unRAID.  My primary concern is having a large pool to store all my movies and play them on my HTPC.  Currently I have about 8TB of ripped movies in .ISO format.  I want AS MUCH STORAGE AS POSSIBLE.

I also would like to have my server be able to backup my client PC's over the network, I am yet to see an offering though where this is possible with unRAID.

If I could use the server as an iTunes server that would be great as well but not a needed feature.  Lastly for my wants I would love it to be able to stream my media to my Android phone, but I highly doubt that is possible with .ISO's and Android ATM.

Here is my potential build, if I need to beef up a certain sections specs, or you know of a cheaper/better option or build I would much appreciate it if you would point me in that direction.  $ is not a primary concern, but I'm no daddy warbucks.

Case: Antec VSK-2000 $45 (fits my needs for minimalist design) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129069

CPU:  AMD Athlon II X2 245 2.9GHz Socket AM3 $60  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103687

Mobo:  ASUS 6 internal SATA ports, AMD SB850 SB, 2 PCI-E slots, 1 eSATA $149  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

Memory: GSkill DDR3 1333 4GB $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231394

PSU: Corsair 650W 80+ Cert. $90  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

All my hard drives will be SATA coming out of my WHS, I currently have 9 HDD's: 4 SATA, 1 eSATA, 4 USB

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Im just about to convert from WHS too, for the exact same reason!

for the backup function, check out this thread

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10606

as for the mainboard, i personally don't like asrock (purely personal preferance).

I have one of these to build my system

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

though there is probably an ASUS version of that Asrock.

I don't think there is a way to use it as an itunes server...unless you just mean storing your itunes library, i can't see why that wouldn't work. (ie, not running anything special on the server, just storing the files)

and i don't think there's anything avaliable for the android streaming

Your PSU is overkill. 650TX is a better choice.

You want a motherboard with 2 PCIe slots that are x4 or faster. Look in the motherboard section to find recommended motherboards.

Depending on your number of drives, you may need an add-on SATA controller like the Supermicro SASLP.

Thank you both very much for the help.  I'll keep this thread updated as I discover how to use my unRAID server to do what I always wanted my WHS to do.  Sadly though as I went to pull the trigger on my build I found out the Zalman case I wanted is no longer carried by newegg... so on goes the search.  I will update when I find one that will fit in my media center and isn't flashy or loud.

Ok I just found my build and updated my case and PSU in my OP

That ATX motherboard will barely fit in that mid-tower case, you will have a fairly cramped build.  This may be OK, just be prepared to perform some cable management miracles so that you still have adequate air flow.  I also doubt that the case's single rear fan will be enough to cool all your drives.

Also, the motherboard you've chosen can support a huge number of drives (20+), but the case you've chosen will max out around 10 drives.  Seems a bit of a mismatch to me.  I would either upgrade the case to something larger and better, or downgrade the motherboard to something smaller and more budget friendly.

You might want to consider the Antec 902.  It will take between 9 and 15 drives (depending on if you use drive cages or not), has great airflow, is decently quiet, and looks pretty good too (you can turn off or disable all the blue LEDs if you wish).  Shop around, though, I've definitely seen it cheaper.  Best Buy recently had it for $70.

If you are looking to some day pass 20 drives, then you've chosen a good motherboard.  If not, then I would look for something cheaper.  Otherwise you are paying for a lot of features on that board that will go unused.

That ATX motherboard will barely fit in that mid-tower case, you will have a fairly cramped build.  This may be OK, just be prepared to perform some cable management miracles so that you still have adequate air flow. 

Thanks for the advice and rec. but that Antec 900 case is a tiny but wider and has less than an inch more room inside.  Not enough to make me buy a case that ugly.  With the VSK-2000 I would be able to mount about 12 drives without doing any crazy mods inside the case.  Also I have built over 100 systems for all types of clients, so cable management should not be an issue at all.  If I need a bigger case I have an Antec P180 case that is aging and may replace this build.

My first build was in an Antec p180.  While it is a nice quiet case, it really isn't very good for unRAID.  The lower 4 drive bay is a pain to use when you have to swap out drives with any regularity.

How do you plan to cool all your drives in the Antec VSK-2000?

I don't see why HDD cooling is such a serious concern.  I thought unRAID spins down drives when not in use so heat should not be a serious issue.  I currently have 3 7200 RPM drives stacked in a row with 1/2" between then and NO cooling or airflow running in the bottom of my P180 case and they been running without issue for 2 1/2 years around 37 degree Celcius and they run 24/7.

I don't see why HDD cooling is such a serious concern.  I thought unRAID spins down drives when not in use so heat should not be a serious issue.  I currently have 3 7200 RPM drives stacked in a row with 1/2" between then and NO cooling or airflow running in the bottom of my P180 case and they been running without issue for 2 1/2 years around 37 degree Celcius and they run 24/7.

37C is not a horrible temp for drives running 24/7.  The issue comes into play when you are doing a parity check and all of the drives are spun up at the same time.

I have spent a lot of time reading around on here and haven't really found anyone with a box doing what I am looking to do.

I will be using my box to store my DVD and Blu-ray rips and stream them over the network.  I use MyMovies to watch my movies on my server ATM from my HTPC, but it doesn't look like there is an add in for MyMovies for unRAID.  My primary concern is having a large pool to store all my movies and play them on my HTPC.  Currently I have about 8TB of ripped movies in .ISO format.  I want AS MUCH STORAGE AS POSSIBLE.

My server does exactly what you're wanting yours to do, except I use yaDIS instead of MyMovies.  You will have to use a Windows machine to run MyMovies, and just port the index to a directory in unRAID.

I also would like to have my server be able to backup my client PC's over the network, I am yet to see an offering though where this is possible with unRAID.

There are multiple ways of accomplishing this, such as using custom cron jobs with rsync, or by using an application like Crashplan.

The p180 has an excellent case cooling system with three large fans, one of which is dedicated to the lower drive bay.  The Antec VSK-2000 has a single 120mm rear fan that is generally intended to cool the CPU and motherboard, not necessarily the drives.  If you built your server with exclusively green drives, allowed unRAID to spin down the drives when not in use, and you don't live in a hot climate then you could probably get away with it.  Still, it just seems like a sub-par choice of case for a server.  If you are convinced that it will work well, then go for it.

Another case you might want to consider is the Antec 300.  I personally don't like it because it forces you to use internally mounted drives, but it doesn't sound like that is a concern for you.

Archived