How bad is it running all apps from flash drive (I don't have cache drive yet)

Hi There ,

I've installed unraid 5 beta (first time in my life).

and then wanted to install Sabnzb , I've found a site which explained how to install the app to the cache drive. I've manully changed the settings to the flash drive (/root)

I have 2 questions :

1. How bad / slow is it to install apps (I plan on having sabnzb , sickbeard , par , rar and maybe couple more) on the flash drive (4GB cruizer)

2. Once I install sabnzb , will all temp nzb files will be on the flash drive ? will it slow the download process because the usb itself is slow ?

thank you,

Eran.

Hi There ,

and then wanted to install Sabnzb , I've found a site which explained how to install the app to the cache drive. I've manully changed the settings to the flash drive (/root)

the flash drive is not /root it is /boot

1. How bad / slow is it to install apps (I plan on having sabnzb , sickbeard , par , rar and maybe couple more) on the flash drive (4GB cruizer)

Depending on how much the application writes to the flash drive it can be very bad for it.  My suggestion is to install that kind of stuff to disk1, disk2, etc in the array instead of onto the flash drive.

2. Once I install sabnzb , will all temp nzb files will be on the flash drive ? will it slow the download process because the usb itself is slow ?

That is the least of your problems.  You should really be installing sab, etc to an array disk.

Hi There ,

the flash drive is not /root it is /boot

Depending on how much the application writes to the flash drive it can be very bad for it.  My suggestion is to install that kind of stuff to disk1, disk2, etc in the array instead of onto the flash drive.

That is the least of your problems.  You should really be installing sab, etc to an array disk.

Some flash drives are rated for only 100000 "writes"  Some might be rated for more... to be safe, use the lesser number as a guide.

If sabnzb wrote one file fragment per minute it could wear out your flash drive in just over 3 months.

If sabnzb wrote one file fragment per second it could wear out your flash drive in just under 30 hours.

To be truthful, either would be too fast for my comfort.  

No program running for any length of time should use the flash drive for temp files.

As suggested, use RAM for temp files  (anywhere under /var or /tmp is a good choice)   Or, for files that need persistence, use one of your disks for the temp directory.

Joe  L.