GA-EP45-UD3R and HPA

Bitbass

I just got bit by the HPA problem when upgrading to 4.7.  I'm using the listed Gigabyte motherboard and have been for quite some time.  I went through the pinned instructions for fixing the HPA from the drive and it's rebuilding onto the "expanded" drive now.  Not quite what I hoped for but I'll happily let it run before I do anything else.  I fixed the drive with the hdparm option.

I just wanted to point out that the latest bios, F12, has a setting under Advanced BIOS settings for disabling the HPA functionality.  It's something like BIOS Backup to Disk and it's about 3rd from the bottom.  It appears to be set to disabled by default.  I found some references to people wondering about this board and if the new BIOS would fix it.  Thought I'd put my experience out there.

I have a EP43-UD3L and the BIOS backup is called the same thing.

I knew about the issue going in so checked to see if it was disabled before connecting any drives.  As least on my model motherboard and with the default BIOS that came with it the option was DISABLED by default.

I eventually updated the BIOS to a later version just for grins and giggles and it remained the same.  I have not had a problem with HPA on my drives with this board yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived