(DEAD) IBM ServeRAID BR10i $44.45 shipped

dyrewolfe

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For a basic UnRaid newbie, like me... How would this compare to the AOC-SASLP-MV8? Slower/faster bandwidth(total/per port)? Anything special about PCIe slot, or other compatibity issues, when used on a SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEE-O motherboard?

I'm considering getting one of these to simplify cabling in my Norco 4220 case. I'm currently using 2 reverse breakout cables and 2(Silicon Image SIL3132) cards along with my MB's onboard SATA ports. That is the most likely scenario for this card if I got it.  OR I may use it in new supercheap build, with 2nd license, as a data backup solution. Not sure about that part as I'm even considering other software for the data redundancy server.

Any feedback would be appreciated,

/justme

For a basic UnRaid newbie, like me... How would this compare to the AOC-SASLP-MV8? Slower/faster bandwidth(total/per port)? Anything special about PCIe slot, or other compatibity issues, when used on a SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEE-O motherboard?

I'm considering getting one of these to simplify cabling in my Norco 4220 case. I'm currently using 2 reverse breakout cables and 2(Silicon Image SIL3132) cards along with my MB's onboard SATA ports. That is the most likely scenario for this card if I got it.  OR I may use it in new supercheap build, with 2nd license, as a data backup solution. Not sure about that part as I'm even considering other software for the data redundancy server.

Any feedback would be appreciated,

/justme

This adapter is currently being tested by some members of the forum in the hope that it will be fully supported in some version of unRAID 5.  So for now I recommend you stay tuned and wait.  I think the spin up/down and reading the drive temps is still in question.

Support for this card and others similar to it are in the very early stages. It wasn't until unRAID 5.0 beta 4 that it was mostly supported. There are still some issues to be resolved within the unRAID Management Console (emhttp), drive temp reporting and drive spin-down. Both are available externally; temps can be queried via smartctl; spin-up and spin-down can be controlled via hdparm.

According to this blog on From 16 to 2 ports: Ideal SATA/SAS Controllers for ZFS & Linux MD RAID (which is talking about the native Linux MD raid and not the Lime-Tech unRAID), it should have twice the bandwidth of the AOC-SASLP-MV8. This is mostly because it uses an 8-lane PCI-Express slot instead of a 4-lane PCI-Express slot.

I would also suggest setting up an alert on ebay for this card. Looks like this particular card comes as default on some IBM servers and lot of new ones get put on ebay after they upgrade to a hardware raid card. Only, problem with these is that they tend not to have pci brackets, but you could pick up a real bargain. In my case the breakout cables cost more than card itself.  ;D

Amazing price variations.  From ~$50 - $350.  Once these are well supported by unRAID, the cheap ones may get harder to find.

Anthing over $100 probably never sells as there are better cards for that price.  It doesn't support any good hardware raid so in the server world they aren't very useful.  The ones that are cheap are system pulls.  I'm predicting there will be a pretty steady supply of those.  It looks like they are included practically free in expensive servers where the buyers will likely replace the cheap cards with what they use.

Quick Update:

The HBA arrived today via FedEx ground, one day earlier than the tracking info stated actually.

Looks new, not a refurb. Box says "Repackaged in the USA" and looks like your run of the mill IBM style labeling.

Put the card in, updated the f/w to the latest and it's presently pre-clearing a couple of spare drives to put a bit of stress on it. Currently, I have it setup in Passthrough under ESXi 4.1 using SKs patched 4.6 iso.

and in case anyone is curious:

root@Tower:~# cat /proc/mpt/ioc0/info
ioc0:
  ProductID = 0x2704 (LSISAS1068E B3)
  FWVersion = 0x011e0500
  MsgVersion = 0x0105
  FirstWhoInit = 0x00
  EventState = 0x00
  CurrentHostMfaHighAddr = 0x00000000
  CurrentSenseBufferHighAddr = 0x00000000
  MaxChainDepth = 0x22 frames
  MinBlockSize = 0x20 bytes
  RequestFrames @ 0xc5202800 (Dma @ 0x05202800)
    {CurReqSz=128} x {CurReqDepth=277} = 35456 bytes ^= 0x9000
    {MaxReqSz=128}   {MaxReqDepth=277}
  Frames   @ 0xc5200000 (Dma @ 0x05200000)
    {CurRepSz=80} x {CurRepDepth=128} = 10240 bytes ^= 0x2880
    {MaxRepSz=0}   {MaxRepDepth=511}
  MaxDevices = 112
  MaxBuses = 1
  PortNumber = 1 (of 1)
root@Tower:~#

All in all, I'm happy so far. :)

Sweet deal indeed. I'm glad you got the product you were hoping for. Sometimes it can be a bit disconcerting when they don't have a product picture of description and a really low price. Did yours have a PCI bracket with it?

I thought my 2 for $104 was a good deal, but it looks like I can get 3 for $111.95 ($90+$21.95 shipping). It looks like quantity discounts apply at 3 and 5 units.

For what it's worth, here's my mpt info dump with the IT firmware:

cat /proc/mpt/ioc0/info
ioc0:
 ProductID = 0x2204 (LSISAS1068E B3)
 FWVersion = 0x01200000
 MsgVersion = 0x0105
 FirstWhoInit = 0x00
 EventState = 0x00
 CurrentHostMfaHighAddr = 0x00000001
 CurrentSenseBufferHighAddr = 0x00000001
 MaxChainDepth = 0x22 frames
 MinBlockSize = 0x20 bytes
 RequestFrames @ 0xffff880133c02800 (Dma @ 0x0000000133c02800)
   {CurReqSz=128} x {CurReqDepth=483} = 61824 bytes ^= 0x10000
   {MaxReqSz=128}   {MaxReqDepth=483}
 Frames   @ 0xffff880133c00000 (Dma @ 0x0000000133c00000)
   {CurRepSz=80} x {CurRepDepth=128} = 10240 bytes ^= 0x2880
   {MaxRepSz=0}   {MaxRepDepth=511}
 MaxDevices = 173
 MaxBuses = 1
 PortNumber = 1 (of 1)

Yes, it came with a PCI bracket. And yes, I was a bit worried about what I'd receive due to the lack of info on the product page.

btw, I noticed if you search for that part # 44E8689 on their site, you'll find several listings for the BR10i ranging anywhere from $32.50 - 226.20. I assume they are just a front for a drop-ship operation?

Despite what I said above... I did break down(I always do) and order one. I did it over concerns, of possible price increases, when/if UnRaid 5.x fully supports it. Also, thanks to some research, I found it does work with some of the alternative software I'm looking at for my data redundancy server.

My card will arrive on Fri(according to Fedex), but I find my Fedex shipments often come a day early. Unfortunately I don't have a system(mainly spare MB) to test out the card in right now. Still when it arrives I'll post with details on the quality(shipping,appears new/used,etc) I can see with my eyes. I'm curious how closely mine will resemble dyrewolfe's, given I bought from the same source. BTW they are down to 86 left in stock, Get 'em soon. ;);D

If anyone wants to know something particuliar ask. I'll do my best to answer, given my current hardware situation. I'm no photographer, but I'll see if I can post some unboxing shots.

/justme

Anyone know what the "R" at the end of the model number stands for?

Must be a typo. I only know of the 10i and 10il models.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0054.html#br10i

Maybe "remanufactured"?

John

Dunno. I'll look on the packaging when I get home, but I don't recall the "R" being there as part of the model. Part # matched up though and it gave no indication of being a refurb. Just repackaged.

Internally (@ IBM -- where I work), I can't find any reference to a BR10iR.

Edit: The part description on the box label is "IBM SERVERAID BR10I SAS/SATA CARD" ... no "R"

Ya I figured as much, I did a real quick google search right before posting that. Always need to cover the bases :).

I already have 2 system pulls/refurbs that I bought off of eBay... but I'm extremely tempted to buy 2 new ones from here and resell the 2 used ones. Not to mention I think a few of my buddies might be interested in 1 or 2 so we'd get the maximum decrease in price. Not a bad deal, excellent find!

Ya I figured as much, I did a real quick google search right before posting that. Always need to cover the bases :).

I already have 2 system pulls/refurbs that I bought off of eBay... but I'm extremely tempted to buy 2 new ones from here and resell the 2 used ones. Not to mention I think a few of my buddies might be interested in 1 or 2 so we'd get the maximum decrease in price. Not a bad deal, excellent find!

Do not be so pressed to sell the system pulls as apparently someone bought them all.

I guess they will show on Ebay now (this morning there were 84 in stock) >:(

Despite what I said above... I did break down(I always do) and order one. I did it over concerns, of possible price increases, when/if UnRaid 5.x fully supports it. Also, thanks to some research, I found it does work with some of the alternative software I'm looking at for my data redundancy server.

My card will arrive on Fri(according to Fedex), but I find my Fedex shipments often come a day early. Unfortunately I don't have a system(mainly spare MB) to test out the card in right now. Still when it arrives I'll post with details on the quality(shipping,appears new/used,etc) I can see with my eyes. I'm curious how closely mine will resemble dyrewolfe's, given I bought from the same source. BTW they are down to 86 left in stock, Get 'em soon. ;);D

If anyone wants to know something particuliar ask. I'll do my best to answer, given my current hardware situation. I'm no photographer, but I'll see if I can post some unboxing shots.

/justme

Please do update when you receive your card. I ordered another one this morning. Hopefully they all come from the same lot.

Maybe we'll be fortunate enough and have the mass buyer be Limetech.  ;D

That was my first thought too. ;D  I did notice after searching that site again that a new group of 48 of same cards appeared that were marked as NEW at $80.  Maybe the seller decided they look new enough to call them NEW?

Edit:  I just added one of the $80 to my cart and chose paypal and it's the same person @gmail.com.  That address is either the seller or another address for PrintSavings.com to recieve payment.  I thinking it's the seller and he (yep, it's a he) changed the price.